Aggressive African Tigerfish

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
I always, ways, ALWAYS advocate for keeping to only one ATF per tank due to how easily they accidentally maim each other in regular interactions, and that's ignoring the outright aggression you seem to have experienced.

Batf and to a lesser degree fatf are known to occasionally get a violent hair up their butt. Your fish is a fatf. If by some means you ended up mixing a fatf with other non-fatf atfs, then the fatf would kill them. I once had a 4" fatf that harassed a then 10" gatf so badly I had to separate them.

Long and short of it is that I think you ended up with a fatf mixed into a group of something else, and the fatf did what fatf do.
I bought these from the same vendor who claimed they was the same. Any other tiger fish in a tank with him he try’s to attack. But other fish he fine with. He has own tank now with some small peacock bass. This example a lot thanks.

Reactions: Chicxulub

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Save yourself the aggravation and stick to one solitary fish and focus your efforts on one atf. Wr have all tried and eventually one will attach another, you remove that one and another will take its place. Trust me when i say rehome the rest and keep one fish that you like the most. They go after each other's eyes and attempt to blind the other til its rendered useless and killed.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I have 2 vittatus that get along. I got three 3 "juveniles and one was harassed to death. The other two follow each other around the tank. One is the first to eat but there is no aggression and they are growing at the same rate with perfect fins. I have had them about 6 months and they are about 6-7" now. They love mealworms and aside from feeders this is their staple diet. There are ctenopomas and snakeskin gouramis in the tank and they all get along great. Tank 150 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store