aggressive senegal

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
My new wc senegal is now trying to bite my 12 inch polly polly at one point he was hunting it the polly polly just swims off but I have some minor damage on its tail the senegal is growing very fast it is now 9.5 inches it was about 9 inches when I bought it 4 weeks looks like I am going to have mt hands full with this one. it doesn't go after my cb senegal yet.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
they are solitair animals, and developed a way of communicating in the hobby to reduce agression since in the wild they never fight since they both go different ways.
Or you got a bully since the tank is to small or it just has to beat the rest into submission and after it does it will not attack them anymore.

I got a few and when i get a new one they always fight the first night, after that they get submissive to my bigger bichir and they stop attacking and start chilling together. So maybe give it some time? and otherwise remove it.
Pictures of tank really help.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I think he may be a bully my cb senegal hs been in this tank 9 years my wc polly polly 5 years and have lived together but those 2 are female my new wc senegal I think is male looking at the anal fin I think he is going to be huge although slim but very long and a juvenile and growing very fast the tank is a 60x24x24 so dont think it is too small so far today it has been ok no attacks yet.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I think he may be a bully my cb senegal hs been in this tank 9 years my wc polly polly 5 years and have lived together but those 2 are female my new wc senegal I think is male looking at the anal fin I think he is going to be huge although slim but very long and a juvenile and growing very fast the tank is a 60x24x24 so dont think it is too small so far today it has been ok no attacks yet.
wait wait What What you have been keeping 2 bichirs for 9 and 5 years in that prison cell???
I hope i made a misunderstanding because that would be very sad. And how even? i cant imagine a bichir living for 9 years in 60cm.. If what you said is correct you should rehome them all to someone who has atleast 4 times as big a tank as yours. Because no bichir should be kept in 60cm. they get around 30cm themselfs. they would not even be able to turn around in 24cm.

Last edited:

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I've got 2 cb Senegal males. When they reached maturity there were a few scuffles but otherwise they hang out just fine in my mixed 75

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
wait wait What What you have been keeping 2 bichirs for 9 and 5 years in that prison cell???
I hope i made a misunderstanding because that would be very sad. And how even? i cant imagine a bichir living for 9 years in 60cm.. If what you said is correct you should rehome them all to someone who has atleast 4 times as big a tank as yours. Because no bichir should be kept in 60cm. they get around 30cm themselfs. they would not even be able to turn around in 24cm.
Pretty sure it's a 150cm tank but go on

Reactions: neko1 and Zanzag

feederfishmatter

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2022
Im 99% sure hes using inches

Reactions: Zanzag

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Why do you assume cm when the op has been using inches as measurements for the fish? To me that reads as a 5x2x2 in feet which would be totally fine
sry cm is normal in my country so i just assume cm. my bad. Thats good to hear.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
5 foot by 2 foot by 2 hardly a prison for senegal and polly polly bichirs he seems to have calmed down now may be he was hungry put some food in and seemed to do the trick for now

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store