Aimara and Plants

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
i hear ya, i’ve been in a downsizing mode as well -

did you just need a new bulkhead or did your tank crack?
It is just a bulkhead issue. The problem is that I am not running a sump with corner overflows. I was running two corner HMF sponge filters with an ultima filter. Major design flaw because if those bulkheads leak then my entire tank will drain. If I had traditional overflows I would leak a little bit of water and could easily replace the bulkheads. I need to seal all 4 of my bottom drain holes.

Reactions: dr exum and Deadeye

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I am currently keeping a black wolf in a planted riparium.

The plan is to upgrade him from a 75 to a 150g as he grows...all of which will be riparia.

The environment that is good for plants vs the environment that is best for aimara is one of the big issues here. Aimara apparently (no actual experience here...yet) like heavy flow and high oxygen.

Plants need flow but generally not river flow and love co2.

In the end you will have a big powerful fish that may or may not knock things out. My plan is to continue using my planters and floating plants, with some attached to driftwood or hidden planters...I dont trust a terracota pot when a big aimara bolts into it and knocks it over. Whatever you do should be pretty strongly attached where you want it IMO.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Perhaps something like this could work...looks to be mostly low tech plants adhered to hardscape with some floaters.

So far in my first riparium, I have never gotten a test result above 0 for Nitrate...so theres that advantage of it as well.

7x3x2.5, 2x florida gar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store