Aimara - Co Hab Project

How long will Severums last?

• Total voters

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I grew my aimara from 3-4in to about 22-23in over a 3 year time frame. I focused heavily on massivore for a long time but at some point I was feeding about 20-25 massivore pellets a day and I wanted something simpler. I did do some fasting periods or would skip a few days. When he was larger I actually switched to a combination of shrimp and massivore. My guy was not close to being obese from all of this feeding. However, I can not talk to long term health as I had to get rid of him.

I will say I was not a fan of massivore. I tried many times to get him onto NLS which is a much better pellet but was not able to. I honestly think daily feeding is fine in the first couple years as they are young but at some point it needs to be tapered down. I used to keep piranha and it was the same thing. Smaller juvenile fish need to be fed daily but at some point you shift to weekly feedings.

I cannot comment on what is considered a juvenile fish for aimara. Considering they are expected to live 30+ years, I suspect a 24in one is still a juvenile considering how fast they grow.

Reactions: dr exum and Deadeye

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I grew my aimara from 3-4in to about 22-23in over a 3 year time frame. I focused heavily on massivore for a long time but at some point I was feeding about 20-25 massivore pellets a day and I wanted something simpler. I did do some fasting periods or would skip a few days. When he was larger I actually switched to a combination of shrimp and massivore. My guy was not close to being obese from all of this feeding. However, I can not talk to long term health as I had to get rid of him.

I will say I was not a fan of massivore. I tried many times to get him onto NLS which is a much better pellet but was not able to. I honestly think daily feeding is fine in the first couple years as they are young but at some point it needs to be tapered down. I used to keep piranha and it was the same thing. Smaller juvenile fish need to be fed daily but at some point you shift to weekly feedings.

I cannot comment on what is considered a juvenile fish for aimara. Considering they are expected to live 30+ years, I suspect a 24in one is still a juvenile considering how fast they grow.
helpful info! good to hear lived experience from someone who kept this type of fish.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
In the wild, eating once a week is a feast for a wolffish, given how often it (as with all predators) fails to catch what it hunts. So he'll show interest on a much more frequent basis than when he's hungry, since he still has that instinct in him of 1 meal/week being a feast.

And it is useful to keep in mind that Massivore has the calories of 1.8 goldfish/pellet, meaning a once a week feeding of 10-15 pellets would be the equivalent of 18-27 feeder goldfish weekly (or in other words, much more similar to wild feeding regimes). It's just more densely packed than goldfish, so it seems like a lot less.

How long has he been eating 20/day or so? Depending on the frequency he may not yet be overweight.
Where are you getting all these interesting facts and figures like “eating once a week is a feast for wolffish” or “massivore has the calories of 1.8 goldfish/pellet?” What size goldfish is a Massivore pellet equivalent to…1.8 x 2” or 12” goldfish?

Reactions: dr exum

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
dr exum dr exum Saw one of these at the pet store today which really looked like Pablo!
Might be a little off topic for the co-hab, but I can see some of the appeal of having them (although I couldn't get any good pictures). Some very interesting behavior.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
dr exum dr exum saw you sold your aimara. How come you got rid of it? At that size of about 24in they are scary specimens.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
dr exum dr exum saw you sold your aimara. How come you got rid of it? At that size of about 24in they are scary specimens.
gravel vacs were tough,

was super aggro,

kind of lost the joy to care for him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store