Aimara coloration

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just wandering if the coloration on my aimara is normal. I feel like there are splotched of white which I would think is strange and possibly some sort of bacteria or fungus.

Additionally, I’m worried that my aimara has contracted fin rot or possibly the prior disease he had a year ago has returned. He’s eating and acting fine but you’ll see in the pics the color I mention, and while his fins got torn up 5 weeks ago when I moved him they should be healed by now.

He is a in 530g solo and it was running a daily drip. I tested 0 ammonia but 25ppm of nitrate. My one concern though is that the pumps for my filters run hot and cause the tank temp to be 81 degrees. The higher temp cause be the cause of the disease returning.

No idea how you I will treat such a large tank using anything but salt.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I wouldn't over react. If the fish appears to be rougher than normal then there is a possibility it has dropped/lost its cuticle (slime coat). The epidermis layer (scales) is exposed with no protection. I've seen fish with lost slime coat and is rough to the touch. Feels like sandpaper.
It's a new tank and the fish was recently netted so who knows.

Some salt will help the fish produce more slime but do not over salt.

You know my feeling about over clean tank and how it relates to color.

Reactions: moe214 and nzafi

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
kendragon kendragon thanks for the feedback. Backflushed the ultima today and the water was clear. I’ll get some salt and add it. Because he never healed fully from the columnaris and I’m seeing signs of potential fin rot is why I’m freaking a bit, but time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store