Aimara Update

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Wow. Friggin WOW.

Iconic. Legendary. Breathtaking.

One of the most impressive wolves I've seen posted on this board......

What a creature. What I wouldn't give to see that thing smash a bullfrog. Ok, I'll cut the crap, what I really would like to see is what happens when a yippy lil ankle biter hits the water...... Kidding. Or?????? lol.

Seriously - the color that thing is sporting - can we PLEASE have more pics?????

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wow. Friggin WOW.

Iconic. Legendary. Breathtaking.

One of the most impressive wolves I've seen posted on this board......

What a creature. What I wouldn't give to see that thing smash a bullfrog. Ok, I'll cut the crap, what I really would like to see is what happens when a yippy lil ankle biter hits the water...... Kidding. Or?????? lol.

Seriously - the color that thing is sporting - can we PLEASE have more pics?????
How's yours doing? We need updates on everything bro lol

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
DB junkie DB junkie also curious how yours is doing?

fc3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2009
Union City CA
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I believe the color is from direct sunlight. I don't use a light on the aquarium and when the sun shines into the aquarium onto it, it has the red color with a hint of green.

I feed depending on the appetite. Sometimes it's 3 times a week sometimes once. It will fast for weeks even months. The longest it ever went without eating was 2 months. It's fasting right now, I haven't fed it for 2 weeks now. When it was small it was everyday. But as it got bigger the appetite changed.

I do think it should be in a 4 foot wide aquarium at least. So, yes I think I will need to get a bigger aquarium.

My advice would be besides the obvious keeping the filters and aquarium clean would be to keep it alone. Don't cause any unnecessary stress. Another thing I don't do is big water changes.

This one is more docile than the other. The other one I had didn't even like you walking up to the aquarium or staring at it. It was constantly trying to get to you through the acrylic. This one doesn't seem to mind or show much aggression at all.

fc3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2009
Union City CA
What I feed it is fish from 99 Ranch Market. Croaker, yellow stripe trevally, Bigeye scad. Mostly croaker.

I believe it might be a male. After reading the article it looks like it's anal fin is concave like a spoon. But I don't know. I think I would have to take it out to see. here are a few pics of the anal fins.

20171118_145757.jpg 20171118_145805.jpg

fc3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2009
Union City CA
I have never fed anything live. I would be curious to see what type of damage it could do but I would feel way too bad putting anything live in the aquarium. I can never really get any good pictures unless it is the right time of the day because of the glare. I'll try to spend sometime tomorrow to get pictures and a video.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What I feed it is fish from 99 Ranch Market. Croaker, yellow stripe trevally, Bigeye scad. Mostly croaker.

I believe it might be a male. After reading the article it looks like it's anal fin is concave like a spoon. But I don't know. I think I would have to take it out to see. here are a few pics of the anal fins.

View attachment 1286875 View attachment 1286876
I'd agree with you it does have the rounded outline at the connecting part to the body hinting male vs straight for female. Look forward to the vids etc. when do you think you'd be able to upgrade? How active is it for you at the age? The reason for less feeding is at the size the metabolism slows. And DB also says they do better alone, or atleast as boss.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thank you for the feedback. I am feeding my guy daily and now that he is on pellets he eats a ton. I give 35-40 pellets hikari food sticks almost daily and he wants more. He was averaging an 1in a month of growth and went from 3in to 10in. I need to try and measure him again but it seems like hes slowing down now that he is close to 12in but I cant tell. Definitely starting to add girth more so than before.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Damn red raspberry there!!! Don’t know if I’ve seen an adult amapa till now. By chance did you have this in an ink print shop in San Jose?
Video would be awesome!
N nzafi , do you have an amapa? I can’t recall seeing them on Wes’ list lately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store