Air bubbles getting sucked into canister filter - Good or bad?

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
I have a 10g tetra tank with small schools of pristellas, rummy noses, glowlights & neons. The intake into one of the filters (Fluval 106) came unstuck from the back of the tank and slipped down diagonally to just above the airstone. I've noticed that bubbles of air are being sucked in, passing through the filter, and are then being blown out into the tank again as smaller micro bubbles.

Obviously this is easily fixed by reattaching the sucker to the back - but is this a good thing or a bad thing? Since beneficial bacteria thrive in oxygenated water, would these bubbles promote better bio filtration by passing through the media?

Or are the air bubbles likely to damage the filter in any way?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would move the air stone. You are correct it’s beneficial for the bacteria in your filter, but over time could damage the filter or end up braking the syphon and causing the filter to crash your cycle.

Reactions: BIG-G and deeda

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Ime, though with different and larger filters, enough air bubbles into a canister can cause the filter to cavitate and lose siphon. This could also overheat the pump, which is essentially water cooled, and shorten its life.

Some filters are better designed to expel air than others-- in fact, some digital filters have a cycle to expel any errant air bubbles, a good hint about whether air bubbles belong inside a canister. Some momentary air inside a filter after cleaning it, etc. is one thing, but I wouldn't want air bubbles directly/continuously sucked into my filter. If your water is sufficiently oxygenated, anyway, absent some issue inside your filter, that dissolved oxygen is enough for your bacteria.

Reactions: BIG-G and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store