airstones a must have?

Bluebarry

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
China
kind of a noob question, but is it a must to have a airstone in a tank? tank size is about 200 gallons, would it be the same if i just put the airstone in the sump?

thanks all in advance

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Depends on your fish's oxygen requirements, are they a hillstream species? If so they need high oxygen levels and need an airstone. Fish like gouramies and bichirs rely on their own methods of respiration so airstone is optional.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
depends how much your filtration agitates the water surface agitation is the key to putting O2 in the water. I use an AC 110 on my 80 gallon without an airstone on my all barbtank and it works just fine.

Bluebarry

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
China
would be a ray grow out tank, not exactly too sure what the requirements they have for oxygen.how exactly would one measure if the filtration agitates the water enough providing enough oxygen though?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
is it a must to have a airstone in a tank?
Hello; Not a "must" but I do run some sort of bubblers. I think of bubblers as a very good plan. Several benefits from having them.

how exactly would one measure if the filtration agitates the water
Hello; A basic way is if the fish gather at the surface. This can mean they need more oxygen and are gathering where the dissolved O2 is still getting into a tank. There use to be a test for dissolved O2 I made back in the 70's doing lab work and there may be a home version available.
I also seem to recall an electronic device I used on a boat made by a company named "Eagle". It measured several water parameters. Not sure about O2. Likely are some electronic meters, but I have not checked into them.

A way I have run tanks without bubblers is to have the discharge of a power filter arranged so the surface of the water is agitated. Sometimes this means keeping the water level down a bit as high water levels can have the discharge too low.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
You have a sump? From the initial question it sounds like you do and if the return gives surface movement then no you don't need a bubbler. I don't have one in any of my sumped tanks, but they do have dual returns and lockline fittings with the "fan" end pointed at the surface.

I also have a couple powerheads in each tank, and while they are not pointed at the surface they do circulate quite a lot of water.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I use my air stones to move lighter solids up from the bottom so they can go out the Overflow and be caught in the sumps mechanical

Reactions: Backfromthedead

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I only use them for aesthetics, or when treating something like ick where higher temp is required. Higher temperature water contains less oxygen than cooler water. My personal preference is to use air to run sponge filters to add additional bio and oxygen.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I run them in all deep tanks > 21" , old school cheap, helps with exchange of gasses . I just like the way they look. They are not necessary if your running a HOB or have surface agitation from your return ( sump or canister) ... I also run air driven sponge filters in my sumps.. cheap effective bio

Reactions: celebrist

Bluebarry

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
China
cool , thanks for all the opinions guys, i guess i'll just have to test it out and see. i always preferred a clean look in my tanks, no heaters/ hang ons / deco/ etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store