Albino red tail cat?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
A friend picked this up today and the lfs owner said they only get around 12”, anyone ever see these and are they really albino RTC? Anything else you can tell me is appreciated

FD03FD0C-1F98-492D-A603-D9B7CD9E17FE.jpeg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think it’s an Asian albino red tail catfish, a lot different than an albino red tail catfish, they get a bit smaller if I remember correctly, and are a lot more aggressive. A true red tail catfish would be several grand minimum, vincentwugwg vincentwugwg could tell you more about albino red tail catfish prices. This was my profile picture for many months, the one with the black was 60k or 40k.
7B6F1EB2-D45A-4874-A05E-68A1BD62FB4E.jpeg
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter your thoughts? Artc?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think it’s an Asian albino red tail catfish, a lot different than an albino red tail catfish, they get a bit smaller if I remember correctly, and are a lot more aggressive. A true red tail catfish would be several grand minimum, vincentwugwg vincentwugwg could tell you more about albino red tail catfish prices. This was my profile picture for many months, the one with the black was 60k or 40k.
View attachment 1435229
Those are beautiful, it was only $10, so I’m guessing not true RTC then

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
View attachment 1435229
thanks

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
View attachment 1435229
Honestly a Asian redtail cat still can reach a length of 3.5ft, so not much smaller then a Amazon redtail cat. As for aggression I'd totally agree that these cats are very mean catfish. I would honestly recommend keeping them seperate from anything else. With Asian redtail cats, anything that fits in its mouth is fair game but anything bigger they will just try to kill it outright.

A friend picked this up today and the lfs owner said they only get around 12”, anyone ever see these and are they really albino RTC? Anything else you can tell me is appreciated

View attachment 1435228
As for what kind of cat this is, I'm not sure, possibly a pictus cat? I can almost guarantee that it's not an Asian redtail tho. All asian redtail cats I've ever seen, at that size, have whiskers anywhere between ½-⅔ it's full body length.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
As for what kind of cat this is, I'm not sure, possibly a pictus cat?
Take a look at where I’ve circled in the following three pictures.
B2E25D48-23DC-449D-97D6-B3D3EDE3A218.jpeg5071FF68-6639-44BC-B6AC-10E47ED93DC8.jpegA40CB43C-E8DD-4FB6-8CBE-2486B5D07258.jpeg
Pictus, a picture I pulled off of the link I posted, and the photo proved by our op. The head shape is different for the pictus than the other two photos.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Take a look at where I’ve circled in the following three pictures.
View attachment 1435230View attachment 1435231View attachment 1435232
Pictus, a picture I pulled off of the link I posted, and the photo proved by our op. The head shape is different for the pictus than the other two photos.
Yeah, definitely agree it ain't a pictus. I was just spit balling. But another thing I notice for a difference was the lil fin on its back just before the tail fin. The pictus cat has a more triangular fin while the other 2 have more of a tear drop shaped fin. Also with the pictus cat, it seems to have far longer whisker then either of the other 2 as well as the Asian redtail cat.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That certainly is a good observation. Take a look at the placement of the whiskers on the linked photo, the top one is longer than the bottom one. It appears as though it’s true with the photo our op has provided us with.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That certainly is a good observation. Take a look at the placement of the whiskers on the linked photo, the top one is longer than the bottom one. It appears as though it’s true with the photo our op has provided us with.
Found this pic on Google of a regular Asian red tail and from the looks of it it's does seem like the pic OP provided does closely resembles this one here. But it would be hard to tell the Asian red tail apart from the pic you provided since they are both albino and are closely related.

Yours: hemibagrus nemerus
The Asian red tail: hemibagrus wyckioides.

But like I said before, since they can both be albino and look very similar to each other as albinos, it would be incredibly hard to tell the 2 species apart from one another.

download.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store