Albino Senegals

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Just curious if they are prone to health issues of any kind. I had a couple albino Senegal’s that I raised for two years since they were tiny, maybe 2” and they were about 6-7” and doing great, then out of now where one started writhing around and was dead a few hrs later, then about a week later the other died the same way. This was about a month ago. I have a Delhezi and it’s doing great, about 1.5 years and 10” and my other fish in the tank are doing great. Parameters are always good as well. That’s why I’m wondering if the albino Senegal’s could be prone to anything or maybe just over inbred. I waited a month to ask because I wanted to be sure it wasn’t something with my tank. These are the only fish I’ve ever lost in this tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Could be genetic issues manifesting themselves, I am not too sure what they are prone too but they always stay smaller so bad breeding is almost certainly a factor. Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Could be genetic issues manifesting themselves, I am not too sure what they are prone too but they always stay smaller so bad breeding is almost certainly a factor. Sorry to hear about your fish :(
Thanks, the smaller size kinda made me wonder as well. They started out smaller than my Delhezi and then they caught up but at the time they died the Delhezi was about 2” longer, it seemed like they got to 6” really fast and then stopped growing

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Almost all of my senegal bichirs randomly died except for one. Strange since the parameters were all in their normal ranges and there were no other deaths over the time span of the deaths of the 4 deaths. I’m thinking that random senegal deaths are due to bag genetics.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Almost all of my senegal bichirs randomly died except for one. Strange since the parameters were all in their normal ranges and there were no other deaths over the time span of the deaths of the 4 deaths. I’m thinking that random senegal deaths are due to bag genetics.
Sorry to hear it, thanks for the info, my parameters were good as well and these are the only fish I’ve lost in that tank.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yes I had a Albino Senegal poly die prematurely and also believe genetics has to be the issue.
Sounds like that’s the issue, it seemed odd that they both died at almost the same time, they were the same age and size too. Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I've notice not all albino sens stay small. I've seen some around 12 inches. Is the reduced size a "side effect" of selective breeding for albinism/leucism or do breeders specifically try to keep them smaller? Not talking about shortbody, but just regular albino senegals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store