Algae eater for Malawi tank?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
My albino bristlenose pleco passed away a couple days ago. Didn't see any signs of illness, maybe he was just old (he was fully grown when I got him from another aquarist last year).

What else would work as an algae eater in a Malawi tank? It's a 55g, all male peacocks and haps. I might upgrade to a 75g, and I have bigger (75g, 135g) tanks I could move it to, but would prefer something that could spend its whole life in a 55g.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
I thought synodontis didn't eat algae? I'd love to be wrong about that though.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
They don't.

Why not another bristlenose plecostomus?

Reactions: tlindsey

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I routinely see my cats on the leaves of my anubias plants that have algae coating them. While I can’t confirm they are eating the algae the amount of visible algae was greatly reduced after I added the cats. In my main tank I have either 4 or 5 cats and have zero visible algae growth on any of my rocks. I do also have 15 nerite snails or so but I have a tough time believeing they keep all of the surface area of my rocks clean. But I am fairly new to syndos so if you say they don’t clean algae I will defer to those with knowledge. In the past I have always kept BNP and always have had algae. Now I don’t. Sorry if I disseminated bad info.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Syn’s just keep the bottom stirred up......the are not algae eaters. You could try nerrite snails but it’s hit or miss if your cichlids will eat them or not. A bn can at least try to run away from your cichlids if getting nipped at......

Veloci

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
I have a L200A Green Phantom pleco ( my local store recommended ) in my tank for about 1year+ , it stays small and doesnt seem to eat anything beside sucking glass and rocks but theres no algae ever since its around ( there was before even on minimal lighting )
other fishes dont bother it and it doesnt bother them

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've kept L200 with some of the milder Malawi cichlids. pH too high can shorten their lifespan, if it was me I'd limit pH to @ the mid-7s for them, which haps/peacocks are fine with ime.

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
I have a L200A Green Phantom pleco ( my local store recommended ) in my tank for about 1year+ , it stays small and doesnt seem to eat anything beside sucking glass and rocks but theres no algae ever since its around ( there was before even on minimal lighting )
other fishes dont bother it and it doesnt bother them
My green phantom totally cleaned my 250 gallon. They are great algae eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store