Algae on rocks, need advice

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
jaguartooth;2383067; said:
BN will help but not with all typed of algae.
I have notice that in one of my tanks I had some black hairy algae and the ABN pleco didn't eat it.
They do eat green and brown algae at a amazing rate. I had a tank covered in brown algae I put a 3" ABN pleco in it for a couple hours and came back and it was all gone. I don't know how that was even possible, he must have been pooping it out as fast as he was eating it.

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Why would you want to get rid of the algae? Algae is great and the fish love to pick at it too!

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Hi Stingray, Algae is the most natural form of food for most fish, and especially the Lake Malawi cichlids. I have taken some of my F1 Labetropheus fuelleborni Katale to my Pet Shop and put a male and 2 females into my 1000l display tank. The rocks are green with algae. These three have grown to nearly double the size of the others in a tank where they are for sale. They spend most of the day eating off the rocks. Have even had them not bother when I fed the fish with the supplement food I use. I also believe it helps with the colouring of the fish. These three definitely display brighter colouring than the others.
Don't worry about the algae on the rocks. I believe it means your sysytem is working well. Green algae is good algae. As some have sais, scrape it off the glass. :naughty::ROFL::headbang2:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store