Algaecide for snail infestation?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Hi
I have two Angels, two Clown Loaches, and a Pleco. I added some Java Fern/Anubias, and tiny snails began appearing all over the tank. They spawn faster than I can remove them.

I've read that algaecide is toxic for invertebrates. Could algaecide be an effective way to deal with the problem? Would it be safe for the fish? And at what dose?

Appreciate your help, thanks

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What I would do is get some lettuce and put a piece in at night. Use a fork to stab it so it get weighed down. You should have a snail covered piece of lettuce in the morning.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi
I have two Angels, two Clown Loaches, and a Pleco. I added some Java Fern/Anubias, and tiny snails began appearing all over the tank. They spawn faster than I can remove them.

I've read that algaecide is toxic for invertebrates. Could algaecide be an effective way to deal with the problem? Would it be safe for the fish? And at what dose?

Appreciate your help, thanks
Believe algaecide in overdose can do it. It’ll also can harm ur fish. Would advise the way fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 has mentioned. Safest way.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would do as fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 suggested.
If lettuce doesn’t work you can try different baits like zucchini or a slice of sweet potatoe.

I’m surprised you even have an issue with clown Loaches in the tank they will usually wipe out any snail that appears.

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Don't snails lay tons of tiny eggs though? Even if I got all the visible ones with lettuce, won't the unhatched generations still continue to appear?

Thanks

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Once you start seeing baby snails you can either squish them or do the lettuce trick again. Eventually you should get rid of them. Alternatively you could get an assassin snail or two but I’m not personally fond of getting an animal to take care of a problem but that’s your decision.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Once you start seeing baby snails you can either squish them or do the lettuce trick again. Eventually you should get rid of them. Alternatively you could get an assassin snail or two but I’m not personally fond of getting an animal to take care of a problem but that’s your decision.
Assassin snails will help control a snail population but it won't eradicate it like loaches or puffers will. The assassin will die before it runs out of snails to eat.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
B BassetsForBrown what kind of snail do you have?
I assume it’s probably pond snails aka bladder snails.
They are not the scourge they are made out to be, in my experience.

I have these in several aquarium and raise them intentionally to feed my loaches and I even take a bag full to the LFS now and again for them to feed the different puffers they have in stock.
If I were you I would just let the Loach take care of it.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store