all about glass

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
What id like to talk about is glass the types and thickness also how its used ... i understand why the bottom panel is much thicker then the front and sides but i have read that the sides must be thicker then the front also that it doesnt matter the highth of the tank ... also im wondering how big a tank can you make out of 1/2 glass ?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
All depends on the hight and length of the tank generally 24 inch is the hight for 1/2 anything taller then that you are going to 5/8 or 3/4. Mind you if you euro brace your tank you can go higher with half inch maybe 30"-36".
On all of my tanks the sides are the same thickness as the front and back panel.

Reactions: moray eel man

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
All depends on the hight and length of the tank generally 24 inch is the hight for 1/2 anything taller then that you are going to 5/8 or 3/4. Mind you if you euro brace your tank you can go higher with half inch maybe 30"-36".
On all of my tanks the sides are the same thickness as the front and back panel.

I was thinking 8' long 36" deep 36 " tall with plywood back and bottom with angle iron bracing around the bottom and top made of 1/2 panel glass

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I never heard that the sides being thicket than the from and back panels

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
Use stainless angle or paint the steel angle really good i wold use 2x2x3/8 angle. If you brace it well enough it will work you just have to keep in mind it's 5200 pounds when you are bracing

I was going to use pond shield for the plywood and the angle iron .. what side square metal tubing do you think i should have for the stand was wanting to keep the front as open as i can to get to the sump and all

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
2 1/2 × 2 1/2 1/4 wall for the main frame with 2x2 x 1/4 cross braces and gussets will give you the strongest frame and leaving it as open as you need. That is a big and friggen heavy fram tho man if. That is way over kill in my opinion if you think it threw and build it properly. You could put a 1 ton truck on it lol
As you can see from my profile pic I am a true believer in go big or go home

Reactions: moray eel man

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
2 1/2 × 2 1/2 1/4 wall for the main frame with 2x2 x 1/4 cross braces and gussets will give you the strongest frame and leaving it as open as you need. That is a big and friggen heavy fram tho man if. That is way over kill in my opinion if you think it threw and build it properly. You could put a 1 ton truck on it lol
As you can see from my profile pic I am a true believer in go big or go home

Im the same way i would rather build it to strong then have it bend or collapse ... do you think 350 is a good price for a 3 x 8 sheet of 1/2 Inch panel glass thats including taxes ?

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
I'm not sure which adhesive works the best sticking to pond armour but I know 3m5200 stick to liquid rubber, marine paint and fiberglass really good

From what i seen on a youtube video it held so good that a man broke the glass trying to get it loose pluse it comes in alot of diffrent colors

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store