All leporinus species aggressive?

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I just recently bought two Three-spot lepronius lately and couldn't find any information about there aggression. I know that Leporinus falcatus has the reputation of being a scale, slime, fin nipping pain. But are all leporinus species the same?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just recently bought two Three-spot lepronius lately and couldn't find any information about there aggression. I know that Leporinus falcatus has the reputation of being a scale, slime, fin nipping pain. But are all leporinus species the same?

I've personally had 2 Banded Leporinus Fasciatus and neither one was aggressive.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
If you can find leporinus brunneus get them best color of all the leporinus species imo.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
when I had an L.fasciatus he killed and ate 6 or 7 of his tankmates, if that information helps at all

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
Hmmm, seems to be equally divided in the middle, kept the two Three-spot leporinus with a synodontis multipunctatus, they ended up eating it. And eventually, the bigger leporinus ate the smaller one. This species stays true to their nature, but I guess it's like picking oscars, some are more aggressive than others.

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Once I had a small shoal of leoporinus striatus in an established tank with other peaceful tankmates. I added the same number of marbled headstanders, went out for dinner and came back to find the headstanders all dead.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
New guy here, and by no means a Leporinus expert but I have kept a few different species...

L. fasciatus: total jerks and killers as they get larger in my experience.
L. steyermarki: picked on all the sedentary tank mates (banjo cats and bristlenose plecos) did ok with fast moving fish like geophagus, severums, siver dollars and bigger tetras
L.nijsseni: currently have four all under 3 inches. They are playing nice with everybody that L. steyermarki did plus ignore the plecos.

All three species pick and g raze constantly and will eat anything from chunk tilapia to zucchini.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store