Alleged fish smuggler in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I saw this in Practical Fishkeeping (UK online magazine) today.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....uggler_sought_by_authorities&utm_content=html

"Officials from the US Fish and Wildlife Service want the public's help in tracking down a Californian man charged with smuggling and trafficking aquarium fishes.

According to Courthouse News Service, a California news service for lawyers and the media, Isaac Zimmerman, 61, failed to appear at court last month, resulting in a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Zimmerman is said to have illegally imported live piranhas, freshwater stingrays and arapaima (a CITES Appendex I listed species) in California, where the sale of the species is illegal.

The Courthouse News Service says that Zimmerman owns two aquarium stores, River Wonders in Hawthorne and Da Tien Pets in Gardena, which it says he used to allegedly import, sell and export the fishes.

According to the report, Zimmerman has previously been charged with 13 counts of conspiracy, illegal fish trafficking, smuggling fish in and out of the United States, of falsifying documents, making false statements and obstructing investigations.

Zimmerman's wife, Leonore Catalina Zimmerman, has already pleaded guilty to a previous charge of illegal fish trafficking and awaits sentencing."

Does anybody in California know if this article is accurate?

What happens to the alleged illegal fish bought from local dealers or distributors?

Are the customers also charged?

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
old news been posted here a billion times.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
River Wonders? if im not wrong, i got my two Cichla Orino from that store... but Pima is illegal in Cali??

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
I could of sworn this man has Been to my house and took all my fish in my pond mo way in hell it was a racoon it took my ID Shark, Blue Channel and my tadpole. Couple weeks later I put my bala's in witha net over the pond and cam and a light that turns on at night when movement. Thing never came back and racoon by enxtinct would come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store