Alligator gar pond melb

Frctcih

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2017
hi wondering if alligator gars could survive in melbourne temperatures it gets pretty cold if they can where can I get. Melbourne Aus

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
how cold does Melbourne get? Colder than Oklahoma?How deep is your pond? With deeper water you'll have less drastic temp swings.
upload_2017-6-20_8-43-3.png
not my image
this 5 footer was actually recently caught in Indiana

Frctcih

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2017
It gets 3-4 degrees at coldest but at hottest it gets up to 40 degrees any way do you know where to get any in melbourne.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Does it get sustained low temperatures like that? Or just like a morning and then warms up? They live in many areas naturally that freeze. 3-4c is above freezing so should be fine unless it’s months at a time. Gar will lie dormant on the bottom and not move for weeks when it gets really cold.

I would introduce in early spring so they have more time to get acclimated before winter. Also, 30inches or deeper would greatly help with extreme heat and cold.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I keep my gator gars in an outdoor pond that has the top of the water basically freezing over during winter and they pass through the season laying dormant and fine. One of the hardiest fish of all time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store