Alligator gar

Cucaracha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hello, I apologize in advance for my English, it is not my native language. I have a small alligator pike, and the problem is that I can give it a maximum of 260 gallons. How can you stop its growth by 80-90 cm without harming it? because if it grows more than a meter, it will be very cramped.

Hello, I apologize in advance for my English, it is not my native language. I have a small alligator pike, and the problem is that I can give it a maximum of 260 gallons. How can you stop its growth by 80-90 cm without harming it? because if it grows more than a meter, it will be very cramped.
You...can't???

Cucaracha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2020
шука.jpgI live in Moscow, and there are few people who keep aquariums of more than 500 liters. 300 - 317 gallons won't be enough? maybe I'm wrong and it's not an alligator gar?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1440184I live in Moscow, and there are few people who keep aquariums of more than 500 liters. 300 - 317 gallons won't be enough? maybe I'm wrong and it's not an alligator gar?
Welcome aboard
In the wild Alligator Gator Gar can grow over 6 ft and larger. That looks like a Alligator Gar in the pic. I'll repeat what others stated rehome the Alligator Gar. If there is a Public Aquarium in Moscow give them a call and see if they will take it off your hands.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Wow all the way from Russia ?
Well hello there from California, as said above its unhealthy and a bit cruel to purposely stunt a fish
If a tank is too hard to come by maybe you could buy some sort of fish pool or a large tub to keep him in , ive seen a few set up online and on YouTube, you could even build a large set up out of wood and use epoxy or pond liner to hold the water
If you can’t find a tank them make one for your monster!
good luck

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ok everyone, remember to be nice to others no matter their experience level :nono:

Needless to say, this size tank will not work out. I do not know if you own a house yet however would am above ground pool be possible? If anything a cement tank or plywood tank would work.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I genuinely hope, for the gars sake, that this guy comes back on and listens, and takes on board the advice given. But his two posts so far are both from this thread, and he hasn't been seen since last Monday!

I sincerely hope it's not one of those cases where someone comes on with a question, doesn't get the answer they want, so they disappear and go somewhere for a second opinion.

It all comes down to research and making the right decisions for the animal you intend to get in an effort to keep it happy long term.

Quite sad. Poor gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store