Alligator Gars in coldwater ponds

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
The carp may be too aggressive for small gars.
If they are like bambusa (shy), they can't compete. I had bambusa with mahseers years ago and the bambusa didn't survive. This year I started the bambusa in the pond by themselves and they are doing great.
That's good to know. Bambusa were actually my first choice for the pond but it's currently all but impossible to get a hold of them here.

Nick.K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2021
Denmark
Hi
This is very interesting, any one of you learned something new on the topic?

I am planning to try it out ?
I will probably get 2 Gater gar this fall and grow them doing winter (without heater in the aquarium)
And hopefully they will be ready for the pond late spring, the plan is to have them live there thru winther.

This is BTW in Denmark we can easily get -15°c (5°F) in the winter

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
The dealer didn't come through in the end and I didn't want to wait on stock to arrive elsewhere because of autumn rapidly approaching, so I didn't end up getting the gars. I do however know of a couple of people in Germany who want to try this or next winter, so I will update here if there is an interest.

Reactions: Nick.K

Nick.K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2021
Denmark
I recently released a 20” alligator gar that I got here in Colorado into my large unheated outdoor pond. It gets down to -20 f or sometimes colder here. I will let you know in the spring once the ice melts if he’s still alive.

Awesome looking forward to hearing from you ?

If they can handle -20F the can also handle the temps and wether in Denmark

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Excited to hear from everyone. Shocking there haven’t been any studies done in the past

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
The historic range of the Alligator Gar is shown on most maps as extending all the way north to Illinois and Ohio; not exactly tropical.
The question is moreso geared at whether the Florida farmed gator gar are still as cold resistant

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store