alligator gars

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
really, how so? i had the impression that the only difference bw them was locality and the bony scale thing in their throats and the number of rows of scales they had, aside from that i had thought they were the same.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
xander13;1464429; said:
really, how so? i had the impression that the only difference bw them was locality and the bony scale thing in their throats and the number of rows of scales they had, aside from that i had thought they were the same.
There are other distinctive differences between them in feeding habits, habitat use, spawning duration and times etc. Additionally there are different meritistic measurements and Morphology. Gill rakers for instance on the Florida are different than those of the Spotted.

In captivity however there seems to be little noticeable differences in behavior. This does not however mean that they are the same fish....they are not.

alex2158

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
illinois
ok i live in illinois and there are no alligator gar in illinis its too cold for them but we have long nose gars and alligator gars if u caught an alligator gar u sutre ass hell woul;dnt catch another one in five minutes u are cathing longnose gars or shortnosed gars they are the ones that are everywhere in illinois they are not alligator gars that u are catchin i kno that for a fact

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
alex2158;1468082; said:
ok i live in illinois and there are no alligator gar in illinis its too cold for them but we have long nose gars and alligator gars if u caught an alligator gar u sutre ass hell woul;dnt catch another one in five minutes u are cathing longnose gars or shortnosed gars they are the ones that are everywhere in illinois they are not alligator gars that u are catchin i kno that for a fact
Translation...(I think I get this language)
No Gators in Illinois....

At least not where you are. (We already covered this actually)

Has little to do with Temp though as Gators historically occurred in Illinois, it has to do with habitat fragmentation more than anything.

alex2158

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
illinois
o well the point i was coming across was that no gators in illinois but i alwasy thought it had to do with the temp also but thnx for the info i appreciate it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store