alligator gars

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
around 2', maybe you're catching longnosed or florida/spotted gars? or are they not from that area?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
willsfishtank;1464279; said:
well i dont know about 50 million years....there noses seem longer than that ones how big do those ones in the pic get
There are Fossil gars sitting next to Dinosaur bones in the US... but whatever...

The two fish you are likely catching are either Longnosed gar or Shortnosed gar. Longnosed average around 4 foot. Shortnosed 3 foot (for a huge one)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
xander13;1464294; said:
around 2', maybe you're catching longnosed or florida/spotted gars? or are they not from that area?
Illinois is pretty far away for Florida... Spotted are only known way south of there.

I have sampled that river before and we did find both Shortnosed and Longnosed at Rock Island up to Whiteside county..

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
lol. i wouldn't know. haha, i read in one of yr previous posts that there's an insignificant difference between the captive behaviour of spotted & florida gar, what might that be?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
i read in one of yr previous posts that there's an insignificant difference between the captive behaviour of spotted & florida gar, what might that be?
Spotted are a bit more skittish and also are not as aggressive feeders. Individual variations exist however..

willsfishtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
illinois
no i didnt mean that gars werent around whe the dinos were i ment the earth wasnt more of a whatever scince awnser but lets not get relgious debate going in this forum. anyways yeah if you have caught them in rock island thats right near me so it must be thanks

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Polypterus;1464408; said:
I'm not following you there behavior has nothing to do with locality...
well what differentiates spotted gars from florida's is mainly locality right, so if that is the case why would they behave any differently?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store