Alligator Snapping Turtle Help Requested

Joshua H1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Please help!

I have owned two hatchling ASTs for about two months. The other day I was performing a water change and noticed these white spots on the turtles' plastrons. Also, the tail of on has begun to fray and the scales are peeling off the underside, leaving a light gray/whiter area. Since I first noticed them, they seem to be spreading. When I brush against the plastron, the outer layer seems to peel off which is incredibly disconcerting to me!

Apparently the water was hard due to rocks I had in it, and this causes serious problems for young ASTs. I have since removed the rocks and have performed two complete water changes with distilled water. Current hardness is 50-100 ppm. Not sure why it's still high.

pH is at 6.7, water temp is between 80-83.

My questions are: (1) does this look like normal scute shedding to you, or some kind of fungal infection/shell rot? (2) How can I fix this problem ASAP?? I'm freaking out a bit...

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

IMG_3928.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3927.jpg IMG_3933.jpg IMG_3923.jpg

Reactions: Matteus

Joshua H1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Have these guys shed yet? Or would it be the first time since you have had them? I had one many years ago, what I am seeing is a typical shed. They look kinda pale for about a week if I remember correctly. But do get a second opinion as I’m quite rusty with these guys

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have never had the pleasure of keeping an AST,I've only kept common snappers but my guess would be either shedding as Matteus has said or possibly an issue with nutrition or the water.

Joshua H1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Have these guys shed yet? Or would it be the first time since you have had them? I had one many years ago, what I am seeing is a typical shed. They look kinda pale for about a week if I remember correctly. But do get a second opinion as I’m quite rusty with these guys
Thanks for your response Matteus. As far as I can tell they have not shed yet. When you used to own them do you remember how they would shed? It's just weird to me because these white spots are starting out as random spots on their plastrons. And the top layers seems to peel off, leaving the white shell underneath.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thanks for your response Matteus. As far as I can tell they have not shed yet. When you used to own them do you remember how they would shed? It's just weird to me because these white spots are starting out as random spots on their plastrons. And the top layers seems to peel off, leaving the white shell underneath.
If I remember correctly the white or pale spots would start in the crevices and eventually work it’s way around the turtle. It’s a messy process that takes a bit of time. I imagine I had terrible water quality back then so that may be bad that it took so long. It’s usually bit by bit that they shed not like a crayfish where they shed everything all at once. They typically eat most of the shed too. Happens fairly often when they are small, they grow very fast. In a year it was the size of a dinner plate.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
In regards for the hardness test your tap water, that may be why it’s still high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store