Alligators gars diet question

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
Ive recently moved my gars outdoors for the summer and noticed a large amount of toads, frogs , and some black salamanders hanging around the pond, can anyone chime in on if its ok if the gars eat them im worried that the toads or salamanders may be deadly to them, im in ontario Canada 2 of the gars are over 36" ones about 28" and 2 smaller ones about 15"

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You should be fine. They will probably clear the pond of some of the frogs.
I have read that just about all salamander are poisonous to some degree.

I doubt that it will cause a problem.
These fish haven’t been around for millions of years for no reason.
I’m sure In there native ranges these fish eat all kinds of lizards and toads.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I wouldn't think that there would be an issue, but it's been decades since I lived in southern ON. I'll tag Lepisosteus Lepisosteus in on this.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I used to feed frogs and salamanders to my gars, bass and aros all the time. When the salamanders tail is punctured it releases a milky substance that is toxic. I noticed that when this occurred the fish would often spit out the salamander sometimes allowing it to get away. I did not notice any I’ll effects within my gars, bass, arowana following the occurrences. They went right back to feeding. I have seen similar results when fishing with salamanders as well. These are the salamanders I used to feed, you likely have the same ones (pic).

The bull frogs, leopard frogs, green frogs, and pickerel frog can all be eaten. I used to feed those commonly. I never fed toads but I imagine they won’t be an issue. Pic of one of my old gars chowing on a leopard frog

26E7E03D-A27A-4352-9E52-63D64DD43BA5.jpeg

FC53B43C-64F8-4695-A26F-4EFD69F6DCCF.jpeg

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
I used to feed frogs and salamanders to my gars, bass and aros all the time. When the salamanders tail is punctured it releases a milky substance that is toxic. I noticed that when this occurred the fish would often spit out the salamander sometimes allowing it to get away. I did not notice any I’ll effects within my gars, bass, arowana following the occurrences. They went right back to feeding. I have seen similar results when fishing with salamanders as well. These are the salamanders I used to feed, you likely have the same ones (pic).

The bull frogs, leopard frogs, green frogs, and pickerel frog can all be eaten. I used to feed those commonly. I never fed toads but I imagine they won’t be an issue. Pic of one of my old gars chowing on a leopard frog

View attachment 1371151

View attachment 1371152
[/QUOTE

alright perfect thanks for the reply i would rather be safe then sorry. I was seriously worried about those salamanders lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store