Aluminum Stands?

puck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Wyoming
I figure a steel stand is a no no with sharks with it affecting their electrosensory organs, but what about a stand made from a non-ferrous metal like aluminum?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
it's the magnetic field that throws them off, not just iron specifically. But yea, aluminum would solve that.

Thing is I'm always a little confused by this one is what about the actual magnets. Most powerheads and pumps are run off magnets, why doesn't that throw them off? What about the mag-float cleaners?

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Ok let me go ahead and nip this in the bud. I've got a steel stand, magnets and power heads. None of the above affect any of the sharks I have nor the stingrays. They have been there over 2 years in this setup. It is possible that the more active ORV sharks are more sensitive to these things, but for those of us in the non-commercial side, the cost of building an aluminum stand with the same strength of steel would be way to cost prohibitive.

I do highly recommend a grounding probe because stray electrical current into your water column would be alot more likely and deadly.

kingpanel

Feeder Fish
May 11, 2017
Steel is the most important metal in use in the construction industry. Next to steel, aluminum has become the most popular. Until recently, the building constructors used aluminum for window frames, partitions, scaffolding work, etc. With the invention of the aluminum composite panel, they have started using the aluminum panels for cladding as well. more: kingaluc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store