Am I doing something wrong?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have hard water and high ph (8.4). My Amozon Sword grows out of control putting out new shoots and taking over the whole aquarium if I keep root tabs in the tank. If I don’t it does just what yours is doing. When I give them the root tabs I just keep them pruned to the size I want them and I can get enough New shoots off of them to fill multiple other tanks. When the leaves get to tall for the tank I just pench them off to make room for new ones to grow.
That is good to hear! My water is from a well and it is hard with a high ph as well. I’m going to give the root tans a shot and see what happens.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Gourami Swami Gourami Swami Thank you all for mentioning root tabs, I’ve never thought to use those and I do happen to have some on hand. I’ll put one under both swords and see if this sick one perks up.

S skjl47 So is this one a brazilian sword? It’s not a problem if it needs to have the leaves out of the water. I have multiple tanks I could move it to, but would first want to be sure I won’t kill it doing so.
As for the substrate, it is about the size of medium to large peas. Those larger rocks you see are just for visual appeal and some larger ones to keep the plant from being messed with by my crays.

Bonytang Bonytang I definitely know what you mean about the die off. I’ve had that happen when bringing in plants for the winter. This was bought from a fish shop so I can’t say where they were originally grown.

Most of the plants are in vitro from pet stores other than the lfs that also do in vitro though also really do a good job importing flora selection. Even as a bonsai keeper many transplanting shouldn't be done in colder months so with aquaculture if everything else is good, your other plants are good, other transplants are good... i gotta say it's the die off thing since here where i'm at it's snowing! and will wait till spring to really get what i want.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Most of the plants are in vitro from pet stores other than the lfs that also do in vitro though also really do a good job importing flora selection. Even as a bonsai keeper many transplanting shouldn't be done in colder months so with aquaculture if everything else is good, your other plants are good, other transplants are good... i gotta say it's the die off thing since here where i'm at it's snowing! and will wait till spring to really get what i want.
Thank you for the advice! I am holding off till spring for some plants. Really just because I don’t trust getting plants shipped to me in the winter. Last year I last all the ones mailed to me. They froze solid:(
I never thought store bought would be an issue. I figured most of them are likely grown indoors so other then water variations I shouldn’t have problems.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Thank you for the advice! I am holding off till spring for some plants. Really just because I don’t trust getting plants shipped to me in the winter. Last year I last all the ones mailed to me. They froze solid:(
I never thought store bought would be an issue. I figured most of them are likely grown indoors so other then water variations I shouldn’t have problems.
For now I am selecting a few cuts grown locally from friends at aquarium club so at least if they die i'll get another stem or 2 later but that's terrible about last year! even shipping for fish is only 1 day/overnight b/c if not they will definitely freeze up here too!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
For now I am selecting a few cuts grown locally from friends at aquarium club so at least if they die i'll get another stem or 2 later but that's terrible about last year! even shipping for fish is only 1 day/overnight b/c if not they will definitely freeze up here too!
That is a good idea.
Yes it was very sad. They were still so green when they thawed I tried to tell myself there was a chance they might make it. Nope. Sigh...
I’m actually waiting for a live delivery right now too. Ships tm and arrives Tuesday. I’m so worried! I’ll be calling to hold the package so I can pick it up at the hub.
I hate winter.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I found the tag!
The middle one is the plant I’m having trouble with. Red melon sword.
4E309E57-F009-4978-9D97-B49E3C664322.jpeg
So it is a Brazilian sword then right? And everything I’ve read so far says it’s fully aquatic.
Today is water change day, so I placed a root tab under both swords. Hopefully now it will improve.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Here are three links to the echinodorus barthii.

https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Echinodorus'Barthii'(072A)/4514

http://theaquaticplantsociety.org/echinodorus-barthii/

This last link is many pictures.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=echinodorus+barthii&qpvt=echinodorus+barthii&FORM=IGRE

Here is another link to brazillian sword which has the scientific name spathiphyllum tasson.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/Spathiphyllum-tasson-brazilian-sword-208874

So if the plant is an echinodorus then it is not a brazillian sword. May I suggest you study the pictures in the links and compare them to the actual plant. I do not think I can tell from your pictures. I also suggest a look at the veining of the leaves as well as the shape. Sorry I can not be more certain.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ll get a good picture of the plant tomorrow. To me, it looks like echinodorus barthii. My plant is small, so the leaves are a bit more rounded looking, but the veining matches.
Hopefully a good picture tm can clear up what type it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store