Amatitlania altoflava care

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Anyone got any input on this? All I can find on them is that they get about 4 inches and they're extremely rare

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Wow I just tried searching for a care sheet and got one result with zero answers and just a lot of question marks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Altoflavus come from a few hours north west of where I live now, a warm wet area (Bocas del Toro in the Chiriqui area).
I would treat them as I would any Amatitlania from the area (of which they are many).
Water temps near 80, moderate to considerable flow, a general pellet for omnivires with Spirulina.
Although I have not kept altoflavus I have kept its closest cousins, nanoluteus, mynae, and panamius. All did well and spawned in tanks as small as 75 gals, no other cichlids (unless in a grow out situation), but with appropriate dithers such live bearers or tetras.
Myrnae

panamius

nanoluteus

Since they are so closely related, I would not mix Amatitlania species in the same tank.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
If you watch any YouTube, there is a fella that just got a group of juvie altoflavus. Search for The Mad Aquarist. He mentioned them in a video last week, but didn't go in depth on them much, just mentioned they were very similar to nanoluteus. I had not heard of them before

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store