Amazon Puffer Help

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking about starting a new tank for them. Also are they commonly available? Thanks

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Just got three today, I'll keep you updated as I learn.

They eat red blood worms readily.
Like to stay in a group, also relative peaceful.

I keep them with a couple of leopard bush fish, hopefully they'll get along.

Not easy to get hold of in Norway, was available for one week the whole year through our regular supplier.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I would say you should start to raise some snails now, when you got your hand on those puffers, you would have an army snail stock supply for your puffer :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So you're looking for some info on Colomesus asellus... here are some basics you should know about them in order to keep them happy and healthy...

They are probably the most social and friendly of all the freshwater puffers, and are said to prefer living in groups of 3 or more in a tank... expect to have around 75G of space to house 3 and ensure to have lots of plants and or cover for them to explore around...

This particular species of puffer is also known to have some seriously fast growing teeth, so fast growing that some keepers have even said with a steady diet of snails or other hard shelled foods every meal, they still end up having to trim their teeth about every 6months to a year...

So in other words, if you are planning on getting this particular species of puffer, it would be a good idea to get a large colony of ramshorn snails going, since they will go through them like no tmr if fed them regularly, although naturally, as with all puffers, a varied diet is preferred... that also means looking up how to clip a puffers teeth if necessary, since if their teeth get too over-grown, they will no longer be able to open their mouths and feed...

Other info is pretty much the same as other freshwater puffers, keep water as clean as possible, and feed till their belly are slightly round... also, keep an eye out for IP's, since a lot if not most puffers are wild caught, and tend to need de-worming when first brought home...

Anything else you need to know should be relatively easy to search for online...

Oddballfanatic

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2012
Hawaii
I worked at an lfs that had an amazon puffer in a planted tank with harlequin rasboras and a pair of rams. My boss told me they could only get these fish once or twice a year. The puffer was really tame and moved surprisingly quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store