amazon river aquariums

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
It’s getting there. Diatoms starting to dissipate. Total of 7 swords at the moment but they are shooting out runners with baby plants like crazy. As the repens get to about 3 inches I cut and plant the trimmings. Will try to cover as much of the foreground with repens if they don’t prove too difficult. View attachment 1456009
Looks great!! I love s. repens and have become pretty good at growing it. I took a massive amount out of my planted tank a few weeks ago and started a monte carlo carpet, which has begun to spread like mad. I am loving it.

The black neons are a great touch.

Are you using C02 on that tank?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s getting there. Diatoms starting to dissipate. Total of 7 swords at the moment but they are shooting out runners with baby plants like crazy. As the repens get to about 3 inches I cut and plant the trimmings. Will try to cover as much of the foreground with repens if they don’t prove too difficult. View attachment 1456009
That looks amazing! How are the p’s doing with the tetras? I tried a school of 6 Buenos with my red and they were gone in days.

Reactions: tlindsey and A&A

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Looks great!! I love s. repens and have become pretty good at growing it. I took a massive amount out of my planted tank a few weeks ago and started a monte carlo carpet, which has begun to spread like mad. I am loving it.
I don’t know that mine will spread like that without CO2! Do you know if they benefit greatly from root tabs? I place those near all of the swords. Any other tips or tricks you can share on repens?

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I don’t know that mine will spread like that without CO2! Do you know if they benefit greatly from root tabs? I place those near all of the swords. Any other tips or tricks you can share on repens?
I use C02 in my planted tank. S. repens have really complicated, large root systems compared to what you see above the substrate, so root tabs are a must. I removed a ton because it was getting deficient and developing holes in the leaves. I trimmed the healthy parts and replanted them after adding root tabs. They seem to be doing much better now.

stauro removal.jpg

rotala tank.jpg

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
That looks amazing! How are the p’s doing with the tetras? I tried a school of 6 Buenos with my red and they were gone in days.
The Ps have ignored them completely these first 3 months. Some of the Ps even get spooked when a tetra comes swooping in to steal some bites of shrimp during feeding. I hope it stays that way.

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
I use C02 in my planted tank. S. repens have really complicated, large root systems compared to what you see above the substrate, so root tabs are a must. I removed a ton because it was getting deficient and developing holes in the leaves. I trimmed the healthy parts and replanted them after adding root tabs. They seem to be doing much better now.

View attachment 1456012

View attachment 1456013
Beautiful tank! I will add root tabs to the area with the repens. Hopefully that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store