American Bull frog Euthanasia with Eugenol

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Dear peers, it's ethical using Eugenol to cause Euthanasia in a adult american bull frog, but I think that Eugenol burns its skin, and could suffer more, please recommendation?
Doing it too fast will make it feel like it’s on fire so only do little by little

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Found a few papers on euthanasia of various frog species:
General consensus is yes, eugenol is an effective and reasonably humane way to anesthetize various anurans, and a concentrated dose will painlessly kill American Bullfrogs without any foreseeable problems. They will not experience any burning sensation that causes distress or undue pain. I have used clove oil/eugenol to euthanize deformed dendrobatid tadpoles with decent success; haven't used it on fully-grown frogs, though.

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Found a few papers on euthanasia of various frog species:
General consensus is yes, eugenol is an effective and reasonably humane way to anesthetize various anurans, and a concentrated dose will painlessly kill American Bullfrogs without any foreseeable problems. They will not experience any burning sensation that causes distress or undue pain. I have used clove oil/eugenol to euthanize deformed dendrobatid tadpoles with decent success; haven't used it on fully-grown frogs, though.
Thank you Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16
I bought Eugenol (Clave oil) in this shop https://www.escuelapisciculturareproductiva.com/tienda-productos-reproduccion-peces-cultivo
Best regards

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
What is meant by the term "reasonably humane"?

Does that describe a method that is still uncomfortable or painful to some extent, but which the user can convince him/herself that he/she can use without feeling too bad or too guilty about the whole procedure?

Clove oil is frequently recommended to euthanize fish and I have seen it used on a number of occasions. Only once did the the killing procedure (calling it what it is) seem to be without discomfort for the animal. Even then, it was far from quick.

On most occasions there was considerable resistance and frantic reaction, implying that a significant amount of discomfort or pain was caused to the unfortunate subject. But, hey, the guy with the bottle of clove oil didn't feel a thing, so there's that.

I personally find the accepted "wisdom" surrounding this topic to be very disturbing.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Sorry for the confusion; not sure what compelled me to say "reasonably humane"; I guess it's just an old habit of mine to never speak in absolutes. The information I found didn't reflect any indication of distress on the euthanized animals, and considered it completely humane on bullfrogs and other similar species when dosed properly.

zapatower zapatower
What is meant by the term "reasonably humane"?

Does that describe a method that is still uncomfortable or painful to some extent, but which the user can convince him/herself that he/she can use without feeling too bad or too guilty about the whole procedure?

Clove oil is frequently recommended to euthanize fish and I have seen it used on a number of occasions. Only once did the the killing procedure (calling it what it is) seem to be without discomfort for the animal. Even then, it was far from quick.

On most occasions there was considerable resistance and frantic reaction, implying that a significant amount of discomfort or pain was caused to the unfortunate subject. But, hey, the guy with the bottle of clove oil didn't feel a thing, so there's that.

I personally find the accepted "wisdom" surrounding this topic to be very disturbing.
Further digging did yield that some species, when anesthetized and subsequently revived, developed temporary prolapses (apparently from the bitter taste?) that didn't last long and resolved on its own. It doesn't seem to be an issue when they're being put down, as apparently they only developed it after recovering from the oil, but might be of slight concern if one intends to just temporarily knock out a frog.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store