American cichlids in the wild

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
After doing some research I’ve found that actually a lot of Central American cichlids in the wild have minimal cover, they have some leaf litter at the bottom with some branches and then plants on the edges yet many people recreate their tanks with big rocks and lots of twigs and branches to create cover. What’s your opinion on this and do they need cover or are they happy to live in a tank with some plants and leaf litter on the bottom. I want to rescape my tank and thought about doing a big bunch of egeria densa on one side of the tank then some low lying rocks and branches with leaf litter all over the tank. Do you think they need a place to hide suck as rocks and wood? Here’s a few links to show examples.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
What you state is what I have noticed too.

The only difference I can workout that would make rocks and branches a necessity is that in the wild the cichlids have the space to escape and that gives a sense of security. In contrast our tanks are very restrictive to them darting off to a large boulder or cover a little ways away.

Hence, rocks and cover helps with feeling of security for the fish, especially smaller species that are on the look out for predators.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve been putting some leaves in my tanks for years now. I give credit to Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 for turning me onto this.
His tanks are beautiful and extremely natural looking.

The benefits are many, the fish love to hunt in them fry like to hide in them . It brings a more natural feeling to the tank which in turn makes the fish behave more naturally.
There are claims that some leaf litter also has an anti fungus / bacteria property.
I tend to believe that there is something to it because I breed cory cats and would loose spawns to fungus, once I added some leaves to the tank the problem seems to have rectified.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
What you state is what I have noticed too.

The only difference I can workout that would make rocks and branches a necessity is that in the wild the cichlids have the space to escape and that gives a sense of security. In contrast our tanks are very restrictive to them darting off to a large boulder or cover a little ways away.

Hence, rocks and cover helps with feeling of security for the fish, especially smaller species that are on the look out for predators.
That is true, I think I might try without too many rocks and see how the fish behave

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
It is believed that most cichlids only hold territory while breeding, so how much they roam outside of this is still fairly unknown. They could be using different parts of the river/lake for different activities, resting, feeding. They could also feed in different areas seasonally due to food availability.
Some species will have a preferd area due to the underwater terrain, complex structures, deeper more open water, substrate choice etc.
Finally alot probably use different areas due to there age, young cichlids are more likely found in the shallows, around over hanging vegetation.
I have posted a link showing that in the same stretch of river different species of cichlids will only utilise certain parts of it and may not even come into contact with each other.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._diets_of_cichlids_in_the_Bladen_River_Belize

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
It is believed that most cichlids only hold territory while breeding, so how much they roam outside of this is still fairly unknown. They could be using different parts of the river/lake for different activities, resting, feeding. They could also feed in different areas seasonally due to food availability.
Some species will have a preferd area due to the underwater terrain, complex structures, deeper more open water, substrate choice etc.
Finally alot probably use different areas due to there age, young cichlids are more likely found in the shallows, around over hanging vegetation.
I have posted a link showing that in the same stretch of river different species of cichlids will only utilise certain parts of it and may not even come into contact with each other.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._diets_of_cichlids_in_the_Bladen_River_Belize
This can be seen with bass. When we went fishing during breeding season they would all be holding territories in the shallows. A month later all gone to deeper waters.

Reactions: dan518 and Bertie07

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
To hold a territory big enough to supply enough food the fish will probably die of exhaustion trying to defend it. Parachromis dovii might be the exception to this with males holding huge territorys, but reading in between the lines the only thing they guard there territorys against is other large male dovii. It would be pointless chasing off other fish which poss little threat to the females when they form part of its food. It would be like lions chasing wildebeest away.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I believe most American cichlids will appreciate some cover in an aquarium.
In the wild what may look like a large expanse of leaf litter, could be covering lots of hollows and caves/tunnels, dead trees etc.
If a predator shows up many cichlids can disappear under the leaves in to such sanctuary. Not so easy in a glass bottom fish tank.
Fish in the wild also have the river Bank to retreat to. Footage may show a pair of cichlids herding fry about in open water but in most cases rocks and cover are only the flick of a caudle fin away.
Have you also considered where cichlids sleep?
Lots of predators are nocturnal. Cichlids sleeping in open water on a gravel bed would be easy pickings. This is where I believe cover becomes important. Most cichlids will find a crevice of some sort to sleep in, or a branch to sleep under. Tucked away out of sight from nocturnal predators.
Such hides and shelters may not actually be required in an aquarium as there may be no predators in the tank. Is this what the cichlids instincts are telling them? I don't actually know for sure but I'm willing to bet they feel far less stressed with the option of somewhere to hide and sleep.
I think an open area of leaf litter is a nice touch but I also think cichlids need somewhere to hide.
The wild is a very varied thing. I don't think you learn a lot from a couple of videos that capture a tiny segment of a cichlids landscape.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I’ve been putting some leaves in my tanks for years now. I give credit to Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 for turning me onto this.
His tanks are beautiful and extremely natural looking.
Thanks BIG-G

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store