Amphilophus Citrinellus Creamcicle midas. Overnight nuchal hump development.....

Zedekias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2022
How old is he roughly? I just picked up a juvenile red devil yesterday and can't wait to watch him grow. :)

Reactions: cich78

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
I could only estimate.his age ... he was picked up for me at the American cichlid association convention the end of July which he was about 3" at that time........ Right now hes 7" so it's safe to say that hes approximately 7 months old...... Here's a picture of him early August.....

Screenshot_20221123-183023_Gallery.jpg

Zedekias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2022
I could only estimate.his age ... he was picked up for me at the American cichlid association convention the end of July which he was about 3" at that time........ Right now hes 7" so it's safe to say that hes approximately 7 months old...... Here's a picture of him early August.....

View attachment 1507625
It blows my mind how fast these guys grow.

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
It blows my mind how fast these guys grow.
Definitely Me Too! One reason why they are among my favorite and its not only the growth but their colors and body proportions transformation as well..... Here's another pic midway between.the first of him and before the most current pictures....

Screenshot_20221128-101030_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The nuchal hump, is not a permanent feature for many species cichlids, it is a liquid and lipid filled sac that ebbs and expands with dominance.
I have had cichlids grow humps over night when a dominant individual in the tank dies, or shrink once spawning season is over.
Of course there are always exceptions, for some like Gymnogeophagus balzani, as soon a male matures, it expands.
Immature male left.
1669824884092.png1669824765013.png

1669825060089.png
But its not always just male dominance (male above)
If there is only a female, she can exert dominance traits too
1669825227643.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nice looking cit, good solid progression.
An old thread you may or may not have seen?

This subject came up recently and while this may be common knowledge to some members I thought that I would share some information from some old research papers that discuss this in fish found within the midas complex.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0016648075901367

Hormonal control of the nuchal hump in the cichlid fish Cichlasoma citrinellum

C.R. Bleick - Zoology Department, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 USA

George Barlow also discusses this subject with regards to citrinellum kept in captivity in the following paper.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1022&context=ichthynicar&sei-redir=1&referer=http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20midas%20cichlid%20in%20nicaragua%20barlow&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdigitalcommons.unl.edu%2Fcgi%2Fviewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1022%26context%3Dichthynicar&ei=8JWJT7nFFtLRiAKBx_3gCw&usg=AFQjCNEYWNS0_mv2VpOzUIKaGjulEpIU6Q#search="midas cichlid nicaragua barlow"

I found it funny that Barlow found some of the massive humps seen on males kept in captivity as grotesque, and noted that nuchal humps of this size far exceed anything seen in nature.

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Nice.... I don't know if I've ever seen this particular paper though I've seen others that I've browsed about the enlargement of the nuchal hump( in both males and females) prior to spawning and how it dissipates after spawning also seen it said that if the male keeps spawning with the same female the hump does not continue expanding to the same amount of enlargement.... I have always found it amazing when viewing those with large enough tanks that have multiple males that all get large humps apparently in competition with each other to look the most impressive for a potential mate .( . This guy has just been recently put into the tank that he is now in and next door to him there is a male Xiloansis that has a little bit of a hump ). I have read that the humps on fish in nature never get to the size of the ones in captivity( probably why Barlow thought they were grotesque)and if anything it's detrimental to their swimming and efficient use of energy to have such an enlargement in the wild.......we hobbyist know that certain specimens are more genetically predisposed to grow the larger humps . I have a lake Nicaragua F2 Male that does not have much of a hump .This guy is(per Ken Davis)lake Nicaragua from a wild caught male and F1 female and i am glad he has good hump genetics 🙂..... Here's another one from the same source that my daughter has .....

20221127_152623.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store