Amphilophus margaritifer

Mad About Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2004
Twin Cities, MN
Modest_Man;2650893; said:
Anyone know anything about these guys? I just found a photo in a PowerPoint slide show of Don Conkel's fish.

Don has them labeled as Astatheros margaritiferus, while www.cichlidae.com and www.fishbase.org have them as Amphilophus margaritifer, and their only photo is of the holotype.

Fishbase info here

Don's PowerPoints here

The photo looks like nothing I've ever seen.

Is this what they actually look like? Don has been known to miss label fish and even push hybrids, but I want that fish (if it's the real deal).
Amazing if fish in picture is not hybrid.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
Theres very little to no info on this breed. Googled the crap out of it to find not much at all. 23.5cm in lenght, non aggressive and rare...

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
They used to be A. longimanus from what I understand. The genus is up in the air, the new one hasn't really gained momentum yet. It's for the sand sifting species to seperate them out from the red devils/midas group.

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
capefeartarheel;2651056; said:
Really? Aside from mis-identifying 2 species and then acknowledging it, I dont think I would agree with that statement at all.

He has written books that even Wayne Weibel, chairman of the American Cichlid Association, consider "the only comprehensive book available in the English language on Central American cichlids", as well as discovering and naming more than a handful of species.

Ive not known of him to push hybrids or anything of the sort. I have however, seen inexperienced and envious people that dont have the knowledge and experience he has, play smear tactics with his findings and classing of cichlids.
It's Wayne Leibel, he hasn't been the chair of the ACA for about 8 years, Conkel is well know to sell hybrids as real fish, you are the one who doesn't have a clue. Ken

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
fishfarm;2654134; said:
That fish is a hybrid, NOT margaritaferum. Ken
Thank you for the info. I almost, almost thought it wasnt.

fishfarm;2654152; said:
It's Wayne Leibel, he hasn't been the chair of the ACA for about 8 years, Conkel is well know to sell hybrids as real fish, you are the one who doesn't have a clue. Ken
Ouch!

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
fishfarm;2654134; said:
That fish is a hybrid, NOT margaritaferum. Ken
Thank you for the info. I almost, almost thought it wasnt.

fishfarm;2654152; said:
Ouch! LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store