Amphilophus Xiloaensis male

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Great Pics, I am kicking myself now for getting rid of them. I had another beast of a male that I got rid of too, curious how he is looking now. Great job though, looking forward to the updates.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
He is young for sure, I would estimate about a year or so. They stay smaller, so I am kind of looking forward to smaller Amphilophus as ge grows. All the attitude, just smaller size.
very handsome fish.
about what 'smaller' size do they mature at? ;-)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Stunning male, congrats .........

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Very cool looking. Xilos peel a lot later than many of the midas complex. I've had several peel after 8".
This seems to hold true for most of the wild or F1 fish in the midas complex. I think the captive bred fish have been selectively bred (probably unintentionally) to undergo the color change at a younger and younger age.

Great looking fish!

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
This seems to hold true for most of the wild or F1 fish in the midas complex. I think the captive bred fish have been selectively bred (probably unintentionally) to undergo the color change at a younger and younger age.

Great looking fish!
That is a good observation! I think they somehow "loose" the characteristic that makes them peel off later in their life. For the longest time this fish was barred, and I had given up on him turning at all. I don't know if adding the female triggers the change of coloration, his color however did change after I added a female in the tank.
This was sold as F1 coming from Ken Davis.

very handsome fish.
about what 'smaller' size do they mature at? ;-)
Thanks, I would say he was 6" maybe when he spawned? But I am bad at guessing the size, so this could be off by a few.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.

Thanks, I would say he was 6" maybe when he spawned? But I am bad at guessing the size, so this could be off by a few.
I meant, how big do they get ? (since you said they stay smaller than most amphs).
but then I found differences of opinion on that.

sdv3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
boston
yeah, Mine peeled at around 9". I thought it was a barred xilo as well. yours looks better than mine did, as far as build goes. nice fish bud.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
it's there a difference between xilo and Midas ?

or just two different names but same kind of fish from different location??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store