Amphilophus xiloaensis

dawood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
Just got some and they seem mellow-ish next to Midas, trimac, festae, etc...is that true?IMG_20151026_233301526.jpg

Reactions: sbgbuddy

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
They reach a smaller size so I'm led to believe, also heard they are not quite as aggressive; I haven't kept them however!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
No they're pretty much like a midas temperament and body shape wise. I did a quick search and a guy from this site had a 14" male so they get about the same size as well.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
No they're pretty much like a midas temperament and body shape wise. I did a quick search and a guy from this site had a 14" male so they get about the same size as well.
You do know Midas and red devil are almost indistinguishable these days it's hard to get a pure bred one. I'm actually selling mine now it's 16 inches my red devil Midas

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Not at all. I can send an email right now and get a pure specimen of either. Same with a trimac or any other species including the xilo the op mentioned.

Midevils are hybrids and no different than a flowerhorn, red texas, blood parrot, etc. Which is fine, but lets call a spade a spade. Its no different than buying a gold necklace out of a guys trunk in a parking lot. What are your odds of it being real gold?

Last edited:

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Not at all. I can send an email right now and get a pure specimen of either. Same with a trimac or any other species including the xilo the op mentioned.

Midevils are hybrids and no different than a flowerhorn, red texas, blood parrot, etc. Which is fine, but lets call a spade a spade.
Exactly I know they're many pure breds Jeff rapps sells them as well. I'm not saying all Midas or Red Devils are but read the stickies has a lot of info of how authentic the species is

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I'm not sure what your getting at. They're distinguishing features for all, but you can't trust the lineage on a fish from most pet stores.

The xilo the op was asking about has its own, but they are more comparable to citrinellus with their temperament from what i've seen.

sbgbuddy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Riverview MI
image.jpeg 14" 8 year old F1 Xiloaensis from Jeff rapps. Very similar temperament as most Amphilophs citrinellus/labatus/Amarillo/ and so on. The only less mild temperament amph I've personally notice from what I've kept is the Lyonsi

Reactions: Naaaahb
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store