And I thought warmer water was supposed to kill whitespot!

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
This is not your average case of whitespot
I have 6 clown loaches, 3 with whitespot Here is where it gets tricky : The water temperature in the tank is 31 degrees . I thought that was supposed to kill whitespot. Apparently not. I cannot think of anything that could have stressed them, maybe new fish introduced it? In any case, should I use medication or let the temp do its job? Please help!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The increased temps will help to quicken the life cycle of ich. Once in it’s free swimming phase then it’s susceptible to meds etc.

Clown loaches are known to get ich. It happens.

Would add salt at 1 tsp per gallon x3, 6hrs apart. If ur not comfortable doing it then drop the temp down and add some seachem paragaurd.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yup elavating the temp speeds up its cycle then you need something to kill it. Uv needs to be pretty large to kill it I think.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I personally use Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. It’s never killed any of my fish. I’ve used it with clown loaches, botia loaches, fire eels, and crayfish. All sensitive to meds. I use the full dose and it doesn’t even stain the silicone. It will stain your hands for a couple days though!
Use this with the higher temps and the temps will speed up the life cycle of the parasite, the meds will kill it. I don’t even bother to raise temps, it just takes a bit longer to treat.
The parasite can only be killed once it’s in the water column so if it’s still attached to fish, meds won’t kill it. This is why the directions say to continue treatment for 3 days after the last sign of white spot. By doing this, I’ve never had it come back.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks everyone, for your input!
I should have made this clear: The water temp was 31 degrees since August 26, when I purchased them, and I suspect the whitespot hitchhiked in with some kuhli loaches. I also purchased Super Ich X, a whitespot cure that is safe for scale less fish. Hope it will work. And yes, I will try some of the suggestions as well.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks everyone, for your input!
I should have made this clear: The water temp was 31 degrees since August 26, when I purchased them, and I suspect the whitespot hitchhiked in with some kuhli loaches. I also purchased Super Ich X, a whitespot cure that is safe for scale less fish. Hope it will work. And yes, I will try some of the suggestions as well.
When using Super Ich X, you should bring the temperature down to 82-84F (28-29C) so that the water is capable of holding more oxygen.

There's also a chance that your thermometer is not that accurate and a shift in 1C can be a big difference from killing the ich.

Most ich can be killed at 90F (a little over 32C).

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/fisher...multifiliis-White-Spot-Infections-in-Fish.pdf

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
When using Super Ich X, you should bring the temperature down to 82-84F (28-29C) so that the water is capable of holding more oxygen.

There's also a chance that your thermometer is not that accurate and a shift in 1C can be a big difference from killing the ich.

Most ich can be killed at 90F (a little over 32C).

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/fisher...multifiliis-White-Spot-Infections-in-Fish.pdf
That 90 is scary and probably extreamly stressful on fish 2 weeks of rising and lowering the temp. So much easier to qt your fish treat the qted fish and your good. But elevating the temp to mid 80s to accelerate the lifecycle and use a good med should cut down on stress and eliminate the issue within a week (7-10 days).

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
twentyleagues twentyleagues , I wish I had a quarantine tank, but there is no more space in my house, no matter how much I move stuff around. The disease has only been present for 3 days, not 2 weeks. The whitespot seems to be getting worse. Should I be worried or is the high temp speeding up the life cycle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store