And so the new journey begins...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Of me slowly attempting to turn my old 60G tank into an aquascaped tank...

So after heck of a lot of scrubbing and cleaning the tank has finally started to look somewhat new again... although in the process i've also discovered a 2nd spot which seems to have a little leak right at the top of the tank which will need a bit of silicone tomorrow...

IMG_7241 copy.JPG

Forgot to grab a pic before adding one of the bags of dirt... but as you can see, so far got 2 bags of ADA "Amazon New" soil before deciding if i needed to buy more...

IMG_7245 copy.JPG

Which as you will see in the following pictures is yes... probably need to get an extra Med bag of large size soil, and 1 Med size bag of small soil... although even now you probably kind of see the direction i'm heading in :naughty:

Hood Open
IMG_7241 copy.JPG

Hood Open different angle
IMG_7248 copy.jpg

Hood Closed (as you can see in the back there is a large water streak :irked:... although that will be covered with a 3D background later on)
IMG_7249 copy.jpg

IMG_7241 copy.JPG

IMG_7245 copy.JPG

IMG_7247 copy.JPG

IMG_7248 copy.jpg

IMG_7249 copy.jpg

IMG_7241 copy.JPG

Reactions: PGJE and Hendre

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

Will keep updating this thread as i go along with hopefully lots of pics...

Oh and btw, any suggestions or constructive criticism is more than welcome in this thread...

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I would definitely get some more soil, but I guess it depends on how you plan on planting it. Did you want to keep it sloped on one side of the tank or are you still playing around with it?

JteSchertz

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Texas
Never knew exactly how tanks were aquascaped with soil/live plants!! Thanks for the pics and keep us posted!!!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would definitely get some more soil, but I guess it depends on how you plan on planting it. Did you want to keep it sloped on one side of the tank or are you still playing around with it?
It will be sloped on one side, but at the moment the middle to far right of the tank has maybe an inch or less of soil, plus with the idea i have i definitely need a bit more...

Although with all that said, till i see what i can find tmr, there will be still a bit of playing around im sure...

I see that your polleni just passed, was this his tank?
Yeah... Which is kinda why i want to try and make it look nice as i can so it serves as a sort of memorial to him...

Never knew exactly how tanks were aquascaped with soil/live plants!! Thanks for the pics and keep us posted!!!
No worries, although im far from an expert when it comes to planted / aquascape tanks... So theres going to be a fair amount of experimenting on my part too...

Eitherway, will promise to keep this thread updated as i go along...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you're going for a Hi-Tech tank with CO2, Ferts, and crazy lighting, I would just slope the soil from front to back to give it more depth. Usually when I see slopes other than the normal front to back, it's usually covered by some sort of carpeting plant. Do you have a selection of plants you want to go with yet?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've always used plant supplements and excel on my tanks without Co2 injection and had decent luck...

Although am debating if i should maybe use Co2 this time around... But this sort of thing i can talk to the LFS about tmr since hes very knowledgeable about plants and what i can get away with...

As for the slope, yeah im going to try doing some type of carpet, and maybe add a few taller plants around on the slope where the feature will be setup

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Nice. I have some HC, Anubias Nana Petite, and Dwarf Swords in my little nano tank. I love the A. Petite:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store