Angel egging/laying substrate options

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Good morning all,
Growing-out, overfed angels have paired in a tank that's not ideal, with snails that keep gobbling the eggs/juvs.
Q1: Can I suspend a laying plate from the middle cross-brace?
Q2: If so, what material is suggested: Ceramic teacup? Clay tile? Glass? Acrylic? Stainless? Oak? Marble?

Q3: What would be the minimum size of the suspended plate, for fish 3~4" long, so mid-grown and laying patches of ~2x3"
Q4: How would I coax laying away from where the snails are getting them?

I have 1/8 glass - Q6: do I prepare it? Sandpaper?

Reactions: tlindsey

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Hey there, Good evening! It's already 8pm here in India.
1.yes you can but it should preferably be a bit slant.
2. I'd say backisde of a clay tile would be good or maybe a terracotta tile.
3. I'd go the total lenght of the tank., if snaild getting on board is a problem I would maybe leave 2-3 " gap between the end of tile and aquarium bottom.
4.sorry I don't know
5. -
6. I don't think that you need to sand it you could if you want to.
Others may be of more help. ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Good morning all,
Growing-out, overfed angels have paired in a tank that's not ideal, with snails that keep gobbling the eggs/juvs.
Q1: Can I suspend a laying plate from the middle cross-brace?
Q2: If so, what material is suggested: Ceramic teacup? Clay tile? Glass? Acrylic? Stainless? Oak? Marble?

Q3: What would be the minimum size of the suspended plate, for fish 3~4" long, so mid-grown and laying patches of ~2x3"
Q4: How would I coax laying away from where the snails are getting them?

I have 1/8 glass - Q6: do I prepare it? Sandpaper?
The clay tile may be chosen not sure about the others you have suggested.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Glazed clay tile, through-drilled & suspended midwater via a hot-glued stainless Allen key & 30Lb fishing line - it's about 2" above the bottom, swings a bit but not much. Set yesterday AM.... and this AM they're still looking to lay on the vertical PVC filter intakes. Not seeming to even notice the new option.
How do I coax? Does it just need to age?

Is my ~45degrees about right, or need to steepen? These fish have laid on vertical & horizontal surfaces including to glass thermometer.

The glaze has some texture (a floor tile), but might still be too smooth? I did run sandpaper over it, but didn't do much (of course).
The other side's pretty rough/raw with patterning for the grout, though maybe still preferable - do I flip?

Or does this look Ok to y'all & I should sit-tight/wait?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Glazed clay tile, through-drilled & suspended midwater via a hot-glued stainless Allen key & 30Lb fishing line - it's about 2" above the bottom, swings a bit but not much. Set yesterday AM.... and this AM they're still looking to lay on the vertical PVC filter intakes. Not seeming to even notice the new option.
How do I coax? Does it just need to age?

Is my ~45degrees about right, or need to steepen? These fish have laid on vertical & horizontal surfaces including to glass thermometer.

The glaze has some texture (a floor tile), but might still be too smooth? I did run sandpaper over it, but didn't do much (of course).
The other side's pretty rough/raw with patterning for the grout, though maybe still preferable - do I flip?

Or does this look Ok to y'all & I should sit-tight/wait?
The rough side would be better . I'd say flip the tile

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store