Angelfish numbers?

kleigh9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I'd like to add angels to my 125 but I'm not sure about numbers. It seems like the common thing to do is to buy 6, let them pair up, and return the rest, or else just keep one at a time. Is it possible to keep a group together long-term? The thought of returning some of them doesn't really appeal to me ! So far I have a 125 gallon, with 25 cardinal tetras, 9 C trilineatus and one L75 pleco- Peckoltia sabaji. I'm thinking about adding probably 6 bolivian rams and was hoping for a group of 4 -6 angelfish. Does this sound do-able? I don't want constant battles and I know there's always the chance of some pairing up but is a 125 big enough to give them room? I'm not new to fish keeping, but have never had angels.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would not have a problem with 6 angels in a 125.
you may find that as they grow they pick off the weakest and whittle their own numbers. Alternatively, depending on sex you could have pairing which try breeding, forcing others out of an area.
What I would be more concerned about is trying to keep angelfish with cardinals.
not tried it myself and some may tell you no issue, but I would expect at best 25 very nervous cardinals, at worst eventually no cardinals and six big full angels.
Maybe a smaller gourami species may be a different more suitable choice than angelfish, unless you want to replace the cardinals with a slightly larger shoaling fish or tetra.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Congrats on what sounds like a nice-looking tank; I always prefer a tank with good numbers of only a couple species rather than a dozen or more species but only in ones or twos.

But, aside from the likely predation as mentioned by Fishman Dave Fishman Dave , I think you are also overlooking the issue of temperature compatibility. Cardinals and Angels both seem to be at their best in the upper 70F range, or even 80+, whereas Bolivian rams are much better in the lower 70's area. I would think that ramirezi Rams would be a better temperature match for Cardinals, and also better suited as tankmates that won't be tempted to snack on your Cardinals.

Also, don't forget that Angels may be graceful and delicate in appearance...but they are still cichlids. When that half-dozen reaches maturity, at least one pair will form and then your ideas about re-homing some of them...or even most of them...may change considerably. That's okay, though; your Cardinals will last a bit longer that way...:)

How about Keyhole Cichlids? Quietly beautiful and wonderfully peaceful...actually peaceful, not just peaceful for a cichlid. Very underrated fish, IMHO.

kleigh9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for the reply's; good thing I asked. I've had quite a few folks say they are big enough not to be eaten, and I have to admit I have a hard time imagining these guys fitting in an angelfish's mouth; but I don't know that I have a good picture of a full grown angel in my head. Does it make a difference that the tetra's are already full grown? I didn't mention that.
Can I ask what temps you all recommend for them? I see ranges out there from 76 - 85 - pretty broad range so I thought that was not going to be an issue. Hmmm. I may need to move the tetra's to another tank and I'm not sure I want to do that. Will need to think about this some more.

Thank you all.....

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Congrats on what sounds like a nice-looking tank; I always prefer a tank with good numbers of only a couple species rather than a dozen or more species but only in ones or twos.

But, aside from the likely predation as mentioned by Fishman Dave Fishman Dave , I think you are also overlooking the issue of temperature compatibility. Cardinals and Angels both seem to be at their best in the upper 70F range, or even 80+, whereas Bolivian rams are much better in the lower 70's area. I would think that ramirezi Rams would be a better temperature match for Cardinals, and also better suited as tankmates that won't be tempted to snack on your Cardinals.

Also, don't forget that Angels may be graceful and delicate in appearance...but they are still cichlids. When that half-dozen reaches maturity, at least one pair will form and then your ideas about re-homing some of them...or even most of them...may change considerably. That's okay, though; your Cardinals will last a bit longer that way...:)

How about Keyhole Cichlids? Quietly beautiful and wonderfully peaceful...actually peaceful, not just peaceful for a cichlid. Very underrated fish, IMHO.
Agree with everything above and definitely 2nd what you said about keyholes. A very underrated species that look beautiful as they mature.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Bolivian rams (75-82F), C trilineatus (61-77F), angels ( 78-86F) and cardinals (73-81F). The angels temperature preference only overlaps at the upper limits for the other three species. The corys especially won’t do well at those warmer temps. Cardinals should be fine with angels especially if you start with juveniles that can’t prey on them.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
It would take a rather large angelfish to eat an adult cardinal tetra. Assuming you don't start with full sized angels your cardinals are safe for a few years, possibly even forever.

As for angels picking each other off I have not seen this among healthy groups. Possibly a problem in smaller tanks? I have noticed some bad genetics on angelfish in recent years which may cause you to lose a few as they grow.

In my larger tanks with larger angelfish groups the larger angels leave even much smaller angels alone typically.

I second the keyholes, there are other small beautiful Acara species that would work well as well though if the keyholes are not your style.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store