Angels...

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
How easy is it to breed Angelfish? Usually how old do they have to be before the become "sexually" active? Are the fry easy to maintain?

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
Very easy, exception is Wild Altums.;As early as Six months; And yes.

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
What would be the ideal aquarium size for a breeding pair? Should I separate them when they pair off (I have eight 1" angels in a 40 gal)? What should I feed the fry? Should I separate the fry from the adults when the eggs hatch?

monte20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
San Diego
i have a neighbor with 3 angels in a 75 gall. and they mate without him doing anything special. all he does is the normal feeding. so i guess it should be easy.

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
What would be the ideal aquarium size for a breeding pair? Should I separate them when they pair off (I have eight 1" angels in a 40 gal)? What should I feed the fry? Should I separate the fry from the adults when the eggs hatch?
Most recommendations for breeding Angels is for a 20g high tank.

I separate/breed my pairs in 10 g tanks for max space utilization. If your objective is for maximum fry survival it;s good to separate the fry from the parents. However, the sight of a pair of Angels rearing their fries is priceless.

I feed all my fries with newly hatched brine shrimp.

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
Most recommendations for breeding Angels is for a 20g high tank.

I separate/breed my pairs in 10 g tanks for max space utilization. If your objective is for maximum fry survival it;s good to separate the fry from the parents. However, the sight of a pair of Angels rearing their fries is priceless.

I feed all my fries with newly hatched brine shrimp.

I am looking for maximum fry survival. So I should keep the Angels in a 20g high tank and then when the fry hatch move them into a 10? How fast do the fry grow? The Angels I have are walmart fish (Unfortunately they're the only store within a reasonable distance that carries fish) and they are only about 1-2" (not including the fins.) Are they old enough to start breeding?

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
For maximum fry survival you can move the eggs as soon as they are fertilized to a smaller setup to hatch. 10 g tanks for hatching them should work. I move them to a 2.5 gallon tank for easier maintenance during the hatching process then move them to a 10 gallon tank two days after they are free swimming. Depending on the size of the spawn they may also quickly outgrow the 10 gallon tank.

It's hard to tell by the size of the fish if they are ready to breed. I once took home a trio of Zebra Angels that were about the size of Quarters. Two of them paired off after a week.

Hakon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Son, Norway
Angels usually lay their eggs on an Echinodorus leaf. I would have seperated the leaf with eggs from the parents. Many angelfish eat their eggs.

LoTech

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2006
San Diego
After you have a pair, move them to a 20g.

Add a piece of slate or other easily removed flat thingy for her to lay on.

When they are actually breeding, consider turning off the filters for a bit if there is a lot of water flow - this keeps the water from blowing sperm away from eggs and improves fertilization.

Breeding can take a couple of hours. Make sure the male is done, then remove the slate.

Put the slate in its own tank or container. Put an airstone next to it to create water movement around the eggs. This helps keep them from getting fungus.

If fungus is a real problem, you can put the eggs in meth blue, and slowly exchange it once the eggs start to hatch.

I have fed successfully with baby brine shrimp and Hikari First Bites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store