Another beast gone.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
That is indeed a beast, I am sorry for your loss.

Reactions: jprp

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
What a great looking fish he was. You obviously took good care of him and gave him a good life if he lived double what they say he should have.
It looked a lot better a few days ago, it has lost some of the red and the black "dots" on the dorsal area seemed to fade out over the last few days too.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
14 yrs is a long time, bummer, sorry that you lost this fish. Just goes to show how large this species can get if one keeps them to full maturity.

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
14 yrs is a long time, bummer, sorry that you lost this fish. Just goes to show how large this species can get if one keeps them to full maturity.
The biggest tank it has been in has been (UK) 300 gal so i don't know how big they might get in multi thousand gallon systems.

Reactions: RD.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
The biggest tank it has been in has been (UK) 300 gal so i don't know how big they might get in multi thousand gallon systems.
Man thats 50 ****ing cm. Dont think it will get much bigger then that. Thats frickin huge.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would think that yours hit the max range of this species size.

From a past discussion about their size, though not sure how long he had it for?

This was a 220 gallon

MrsE88 MrsE88 I was thinking of you when I saw this on a local forum. And that's in a 220.

Owner was looking to rehome, and in his ad stated: "I have one XXL Flagtail, at least 14" long, and thick, healthy fish, lives on NLS food. She will need to have a large home, currently lives in a 220 gal tank, but should be larger."

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
Man thats 50 ****ing cm. Dont think it will get much bigger then that. Thats frickin huge.
I think a lot of bigger aquarium fish need revisiting with regard to size (and captive longevity), in particular i think Total length should be used in most cases ( i understand with things like Acanthicus this gets skewed if you count the tail extensions) as on the majority of fish this could add another 25-33% to the size you need to consider for tank size. eg a standard length 15 inch tinfoil is actually a 20 inch animal in your tank.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am very sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish, and huge.
Mine is ~10 inches and bought it ~2 years ago at 2.5 in. I hope it lives a long life.
Long life means very different things for different fish, even in good conditions. For silver dollars, multi-decade longevity seems to be an standard expectation.
Again, my condolences for your loss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store