Another Super Red Texas Attempt

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I totally agree, but I'm pretty sure when they refer to sorting the offspring, it's no different from flowerhorn as far as sorting out the undesirables and doing culls so the bad ones don't end up out on the market. You guys could be right and I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here. I'm just stating what I've been going by since I started breeding these. If JD is correct then I thank him for more useful information.
Sure. It will be a fun project nonetheless.

Reactions: RD. and Ozzie73

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
This might help......

I don't personally see those two specimens producing SRT offspring. RT, yes, SRT, not likely.
I used to think it was parent fish till I bred my bonsai fh. The parents were mediocre at best, but came from a good line. The the offspring, far from VIP but respectable, all blew the parents away in appearance. It looks like whatever was upstream in the line came out. I have an unfaded 7th generation that has insane pearling, but I know the gene is there for fading also. He's with a female that resembles the male I have posted in this thread. I think my chances for at least the corn part of unicorn would come from him instead of this guy.

I'm not sure how to quote multiple posts, but your unicorn comment and low quality fh getting tossed out on the market couldn't be more true. The ones I have bred, if I wouldn't buy it the jags get a nice pearly snack...lol.

Reactions: RD. and adamsfishes

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Sure. It will be a fun project nonetheless.
It is a lot of fun with these. Each batch gets better and better. Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll be able to produce that one fish that gets the pic shared around...hahaha

Reactions: RD.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Slight derail, but what would you call this beauty? Looks like it maybe has some red Texas in it. Talk about a unicorn...

No derailing with eye candy like that...lol. Looks like an Indo Cencu gold base flowerhorn.

Reactions: adamsfishes

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah, it's a pretty fish. I love that image. Too bad no one has cracked the code on consistently producing fish of that quality. Maybe one day...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agreed, gold base.

I used to think it was parent fish till I bred my bonsai fh. The parents were mediocre at best, but came from a good line. The the offspring, far from VIP but respectable, all blew the parents away in appearance. It looks like whatever was upstream in the line came out. I have an unfaded 7th generation that has insane pearling, but I know the gene is there for fading also. He's with a female that resembles the male I have posted in this thread. I think my chances for at least the corn part of unicorn would come from him instead of this guy.

I'm not sure how to quote multiple posts, but your unicorn comment and low quality fh getting tossed out on the market couldn't be more true. The ones I have bred, if I wouldn't buy it the jags get a nice pearly snack...lol.
Yes, very true, one never knows exactly what they will get until they breed two fish together. Maybe one or two rock stars out of hundreds/thousands of fry, you just never know.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Agreed, gold base.

Yes, very true, one never knows exactly what they will get until they breed two fish together. Maybe one or two rock stars out of hundreds/thousands of fry, you just never know.
Indonesian also.....they have a look of their own

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Agreed, gold base.

I was going to go for it until I learned that. I don't have the means for one of those big fish farms. I'm going nuts with my small scale operation...lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I guess as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I have no issue with hybrids, and have owned several FH over the years. As long as one breeds/culls/sells responsibly, it's all good.

Reactions: Ozzie73
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store