Another tank mate suggestion thread...

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
Hey guys!

I know we see these "tank mate???" threads all the time but really at this point I'm just looking for suggestions.

Currently my 150 growout is stocked with my hen/bd hybrid pup, a 6" silver aro, and a 4" prochilodus. They're awesome fish but often my tank looks... well, empty.

I'm at a bit of a loss for tank mates as I'm not the biggest fan of Silver Dollars or similar fish and I'll be moving within the year and don't want to invest in a school of discus and have to worry about transporting them or selling them. I'd like to only have to worry about transporting the ray and aro. I've thought about a school of tetras but I can't really decide on a species and I'm sure they'd slowly be picked off anyway.

Anybody have any suggestions to help liven up the tank a bit? It would be greatly appreciated.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Your tank is to small for the aro and ray anyway, when they grow they will fill the tank up. If you plan to upgrade then you have many options such as oscars, peacock bass but that’s only if you have a big tank

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Your tank is to small for the aro and ray anyway, when they grow they will fill the tank up. If you plan to upgrade then you have many options such as oscars, peacock bass but that’s only if you have a big tank
I'm well aware of my tank size and the husbandry requirements of the animals I own. Thank you for your concern though as many people do get in over their head. This is a grow out system. NOT a permanent home for both the ray and the aro.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Well if you want tankmates for the tank now then you could do mascara barbs, group of geophagus, rainbow fish. Pretty much any larger fish that isn’t to aggresive

Reactions: Capt_Rick_Dixie

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I just recently added a Goonch to my set up :D Wesley aka RareFish has some in stock they are bad ass and eatting right out the bag. Goes nice with rays ;) Mashseers are nice and active beautiful looking fishes check em out

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Well if you want tankmates for the tank now then you could do mascara barbs, group of geophagus, rainbow fish. Pretty much any larger fish that isn’t to aggresive
Gymnogeophagus balzanii have always caught my eye but I've hesitated a bit. Honestly not really sure why. Rainbows are pretty neat too. Never really considered em. Thanks for the suggestions!

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I just recently added a Goonch to my set up :D Wesley aka RareFish has some in stock they are bad ass and eatting right out the bag. Goes nice with rays ;) Mashseers are nice and active beautiful looking fishes check em out
I've wanted a goonch ever since I first saw River Monsters haha. Maybe someday I'll do a neat stream system Goonch tank. But I'll check out the mahseers! Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Dloks

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I agree with Geos, also find Severums are pretty chilled and dont interfere with rays or aro, Datnoids are good
Oscars, i have had mixed experiences.. some are ok especially if only one, others tend to be too much under aro's nose and annoy her
I also have a school of clown loaches and they look awesome and dont bother anyone

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I agree with Geos, also find Severums are pretty chilled and dont interfere with rays or aro, Datnoids are good
Oscars, i have had mixed experiences.. some are ok especially if only one, others tend to be too much under aro's nose and annoy her
I also have a school of clown loaches and they look awesome and dont bother anyone
Severums would be pretty cool. I was honestly considering a little group of em. But clown loaches would be as well. I'm sure they'd help clean up any lingering scraps as well. You guys are giving me some great ideas!

Reactions: MariaS

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Spanner barbs get 7"+ and chunky, do fine with my black aro and are active characters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store