another thread about stocking ideas...

cobra1713

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
apple valley ca
Ok well from this point on i had originally planned on just having my senegal in my 60 gallon but i just got a killer deal on a bp so now im looking for what else i can put in a 60 gallon with
1 senegal bichir 5.5 in
1 BP 3.5 in

i am pretty knowledgeable about fish in general except cichlids, so thats why im leaning out and asking for stocking ideas.

i have no idea what can go with what when it comes to cichlids so if you could just help me out and just throw out some ideas id appreciate it.

i was hoping for a few larger fish rather than a bunch of smaller ones.

cobra1713

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
apple valley ca
cmon anybody have an idea? im heading to the fish store in the morning and need some ideas?

im out on a limb with my first cichlid so lookin for some help

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
Well, both the BP and Bichir can get pretty large, and are thick, so keep that in mind as they grow, you'll need to adjust your water change schedule accordingly.

As for possible tankmates, you could do a pack of Giant Danios to add some movement. I wouldn't do Silver Dollars, Balas, or Tinfoil barbs, too big in my opinion.

You could grab some cool plecs that stay 8" or under.

3-5 Geos? Someone correct me if they would get eaten.

Or just grab like 25 small fish, like Zebra Danios, Tetras, ect, and mix em up a bit.

rba718

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Miami, FL
I'd probably go with Gee on that one, however, you should keep in mind that as the Senegal gets bigger, it could easily eat any of those smaller fish. Bichirs are pretty intelligent and sooner or later will start picking at a school of Giant Danios.

For me I'd get a Pleco, I have an Alligator Pleco that's shared a tank with my Senegal for a while now and they get a long fairly well. The most conflict you'll ever get is the Pleco trying to harmlessly suck off on the Bichir but that's pretty much it.

cobra1713

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
apple valley ca
i was looking into the geo's but i donk know anything about them. so if you could give me a couple names that might go best with a bicher it might be cool. and yea im thinking of putting my gibby in that tank and getting a couple l18 or l81 for my communit tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store