Another way to clean sand substrate?

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
I usually clean the debris and fish waste of the tank which is deposited on top of the sand with my siphon. But those small particles always get stuck in siphon and it is very hard to remove them. So is there another way to clean the sand without using a siphon ?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I usually clean the debris and fish waste of the tank which is deposited on top of the sand with my siphon. But those small particles always get stuck in siphon and it is very hard to remove them. So is there another way to clean the sand without using a siphon ?

Just lift the tube of gravel vac or crimp hose when you see sand rising .

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
No no I mean the small debris and other waste material in the tank get stuck not the sand. Isn't there another method of removing this debris?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Maybe your siphon hose is too small for the size chucks you're trying to remove, I've never had that problem unless a big chunk gets sucked in, then I do as Tom said, and when it falls down, just chop it up with the siphon tube edge.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
chunks to big for the siphon? not had that problem before even when running sand which I hated and went back to gravel, Filters hate sand, and if you have a digger they will spit it out right on the dang intake. bad news for your mag drive chamber. don,nt take much to start grinding it up.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
what an confusing thread lol. had to reread what OP said again to understand what he was asking.

it looks like the hose you're using is way to small therefore debris get stuck in it. use a wider hose. maybe like a tube hose the size of an python (not the snake) water changer hose?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store