Anthropod In my Payara

Jeevee

Gambusia
Nov 26, 2017
Hey Everyone!

I have been following you guys for years now. I have been using you all as resource since I've been keeping fish. So I decided to become a member a few months ago. However, this is my 1st post because I've never had to ask anything since a lot of info is on here. But I'm needing a little help now.

I bought a Red tail Payara, 5 inches, from a vendor this past few days. He arrived yesterday. When he came, he was already acting and swimming funny but I thought it was just stress from shipment. (Not my 1st time buying online) So I threw him in a 29 gallon quarantine tank. Left him alone for the day. This morning, I found him dead with an Anthropod in his mouth. Pics are attached as well as a pic from internet to give clearly what this thing really looks like.
I haven't started treating for anything, just observing, because this Payara was my last guy to grab for my new 300g which has a 6 inch Odoe who already has been preventaviley treated for disease and parasite. So I figured I was going to treat his new tankmates in my qt before adding. Something that ive learned from reading this forum.
So my questions are...

1) Should I be worried of the other livestock i have in my QT? I was quarantining him w 2 African Odoes, 2 Red tail Cuddas and 2 Hujetas all around 4 to 5 inches. I got them all together within a one week time so that is why they were all still in quarantine. But the Payara has only been w them for the past 24hrs.

2) What should I treat with? I've added salt and paraguard to the qt, do you think I need something stronger?

3) is there a chance the Anthropod laid eggs?

4) The vendor doesn't think it came from him but after doing research, it says these Anthropods start small and slip through the gills of fish and attach themselves to the tongue slowly eating them. Do you think it came from the Vendor's stock? The 29g qt does have gravel because it used to be an active tank. He thinks that the Anthropod was living in my gravel and slipped through when the Payara passed, what do you think?

5) Anyone else experience this? Are they harmful to humans?

Thank you guys in advance. You all have already helped me so much just existing as a forum. I hope to hear from some of you.

-Jee
20171220_112943.jpg 20171220_112939.jpg 20171220_112615.jpg

Screenshot_20171220-114343.jpg

Jeevee

Gambusia
Nov 26, 2017
Hello, the bottom one is from Internet. The Payara are authentic. Just purchased him this week.

No one has any experience?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Never had these in any of my fish. Saw these in the internet a few years back. Mainly thought these isopods were saltwater only.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Jeevee

Gambusia
Nov 26, 2017
Me too kno4te. I was bugged out. I'm like the lucky one or unlucky depending how you see it. No one else, including the owner of the Business I bought the fish from, no on has ever experienced this. I just wanted to know if I should treat for.the sake of my other fish. But how and what do I treat with?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
It's an invertebrate. Copper kills invertebrates. I really don't know about this, but I'd start with dumping something with copper in it into that QT tank to save the other fish - if there's a chance of infection and if the copper would help.

Jeevee

Gambusia
Nov 26, 2017
Thank you J.H for the response. I will have to grab some copper. Never had to use it. I will have to test for copper yes? In the meantime, will some prazi help you think?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're marine only. But interesting either way. Do you have any better pictures of it?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thank you J.H for the response. I will have to grab some copper. Never had to use it. I will have to test for copper yes? In the meantime, will some prazi help you think?
Some people on mfk advise that you should treat all fish you QT with prazi. I really don't know about any of this. Why not try and get someone who does?
RD. RD. duanes duanes Chicxulub Chicxulub thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Drstrangelove Drstrangelove UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD .

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Assuming this was a mouth parasite, the family pictured is very large (think hundreds), easily misidentified, and typically marine. Any specific conjecture would be almost pointless without the specimen at hand, or photos as well as an expert. It would be complete guesswork regarding life cycle, eggs, cause of death, etc., since even for that photograph, some of those are unknowns, not to mention for the lesser know variants.

I would not use copper. While I can't advise which medication, I think that is one to avoid unless it's clearly required and nearly a last resort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store