Any Bonsai tree Keepers?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I have some tulips in my front yard. Funny thing is, I have never planted tulips. The squirrels must have dug up tulip bulbs from one of my neighbors a few years back and planted them in my yard. The really funny thing is there are five of them and they are all perfectly spaced in the opening between each of my shrubs almost like they planned it out for curb appeal lol .

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You guys are getting me stoked on Bonsai! Maybe I'll try a Bougainville again. I couldn't get it going the first time. Not sure if I have enough light. They're just so damn nice.
They like a lot of light, also if you have enough light , then you could try paloverde or ironwood, both of which live in drier regions

blinkdagger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2019
I need to catch up on this thread. Does anybody here have willow Bonsai?
I used to (in the loosest sense: basically a branch cutting that grew roots), then the SO found out and I got chewed out because keeping willows in the house around here is like the Judeo-Christian equivalent of... fiery Satanic iconography in the bathroom or something. Pretty big loss actually, since at the time they were the only plants I knew of that could grow in water and stand up to my turtles' meddling.

I've since moved on to dawn redwoods and bald cypress but they're definitely not as robust as the willows, nor do they grow as fast in a hypoxic environment. Also I only ever see upright and forest styles for them, which I don't really find attractive.

Once I get a new bog container I'm going to try growing some emergent plants next to the trees and see what happens; hopefully the trees get to leech some oxygen off the emergents but I'm fully expecting them to just get strangled.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I used to (in the loosest sense: basically a branch cutting that grew roots), then the SO found out and I got chewed out because keeping willows in the house around here is like the Judeo-Christian equivalent of... fiery Satanic iconography in the bathroom or something. Pretty big loss actually, since at the time they were the only plants I knew of that could grow in water and stand up to my turtles' meddling.

I've since moved on to dawn redwoods and bald cypress but they're definitely not as robust as the willows, nor do they grow as fast in a hypoxic environment. Also I only ever see upright and forest styles for them, which I don't really find attractive.

Once I get a new bog container I'm going to try growing some emergent plants next to the trees and see what happens; hopefully the trees get to leech some oxygen off the emergents but I'm fully expecting them to just get strangled.
Any pics of the willows you had?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store