Any engineers in the house ? Metal sand modification

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Any engineers in the house ?

I have an 80 x 26 x 28 (250g) tank. The stand is made of metal. There is a metal center post to support the middle angle bar. There is a tank underneath that is being blocked by the center post. (Pic on the left )

I want to move the center post around 12 inches to the right. (Pic on the right) Will this compromise the stand/tank ?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I can't see either of your pics. Can you Upload a File directly to the forum topic?

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It's, honestly, hard to say because I don't know what size and thickness the steel is that the stand is made out of. If it's large, heavy duty steel, then you might be able to eliminate the center support all together. If it's on the thinner side, then you might need to run some calculations to determine if it's going to be good enough, or beef it up a bit while you modify it.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
When it did not have the centerpost, it bent for less than 1/8 of an inch when i filled it up . Then i added the centerpost, The tank on the bottom was supposed to be a filter but eventually became a show tank, hence now I want to move the centerpost 10 inches to the right.

The stand is made from 2 inch angle bar, 1/4 inch thick.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
When it did not have the centerpost, it bent for less than 1/8 of an inch when i filled it up . Then i added the centerpost, The tank on the bottom was supposed to be a filter but eventually became a show tank, hence now I want to move the centerpost 10 inches to the right.

The stand is made from 2 inch angle bar, 1/4 inch thick.
Here are sets of pics based on what you posted. It's basically a beam (the table top) with three columns (legs.) I'll ignore the bottom part since without pictures, it's only a guess what it does. It likely is at least partly as a stabilizer for the three columns.

I assume the 3 columns are equal in size. Is that true?

Also, I am no engineer.

tank stand move.png

The first set is your picture with the show tank removed and your added angle supports removed.

tank stand move 2.png
The second is edited to show the point I want to make.

Imagine the left column has been removed. You now have a cantilever. However, the original (on the left) is substantially less weight as an overhang than the proposed one (on the right.)

In the original, the left column was asked to hold much less weight than in the new version. The stress that has to be addressed is the new additional loading on the left column.

How much? I don't know. Was it over built (columns are far stronger than any engineer would design) or was it built to have a reasonable safety margin? Would a bracket (as you added to the middle column) make the modification feasible? I don't know.

What I would do is add more column support on the left. The bracket is not a bad idea, but it may not be sufficient. Brackets are typical as a solution to cantilevers, but the cantilever will still fail if the bracket is insufficient or the column is damaged from the bracket itself. (I had one fail suddenly with a pile of books while I was a student in Chicago.) It didn't bend or droop for weeks, then in 1 split second it went.

With added left column support and a bracket I think it would be as strong or stronger than the original. But again, I'm no engineer, so by no means am I arguing this is correct. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store