Feb 11, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
30ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have been trying to establish a guppy colony in my 20g tall. I have it heavily planted with a dwarf water lily. Some apotogen. Lots of hornwort, anarchris, some ludwigia. Anyway lots of plants and a small castle. I started with just a handfull. 1 male and 4 females. I noticed what looked like fin rot on a couple females. I treated with melafix and it continued. I lost a few put back a few. This cycle happened a couple times. Ive never seen aggressive behavior but someone said the most dominate female is probably picking them to death. That adding more fish would spread the aggression. I did that. Got about 16. Now they seemed to be doing great for a week. My kids came and overfed my tank. I done a water change and fixed it up. Well now im getting the same thing again. Two or three big healthy females have torn up fins and are swimming in one spot just looking bad. And ive pulled out 2 dead already. Water is fine no sign of disease. Just torn up fins and laziness then death. I watch for long lengths of time trying to see a picking culprit. I dont see any fin nippers, fighting or relentless chasing. What am i doing wrong? Whats going on really? I have a baby box with 100 or more fry they have given me. They are growing and doing awesome. I have 3 fry in the 20gal with the adults and they have grown to nearly half their adult size in there. So i know my water quality is fine and disease wouldve wiped out the babies long ago. Right? Im lost and frustrated. About to give up on guppies. Any guppy pros out there?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I suggest you post pictures of the affected fish so it can be assessed exactly what the injuries may be. A picture of the tank itself would also be useful. It is very possible you will benefit from changing water more often, or changing more volume every two weeks. Nitrate at 30 ppm is not horrible, but it is high. What is your pH? even though guppies adapt to just about anything, they do best in above neutral pH.
Are guppies the only inhabitants in the tank? Usually, even with intra-specific aggression, if there are enough plants and other decorations, there should not be so much aggression among the females as to produce bad fin damage and death. Something else may be going on.
Regarding aggression on the fry - Usually there is no competitive aggression on them; that is, either they are eaten alright, or they are left alone and not harassed... until they become little females and then they would be harassed constantly by males.
Good luck!

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
I have been trying to establish a guppy colony in my 20g tall. I have it heavily planted with a dwarf water lily. Some apotogen. Lots of hornwort, anarchris, some ludwigia. Anyway lots of plants and a small castle. I started with just a handfull. 1 male and 4 females. I noticed what looked like fin rot on a couple females. I treated with melafix and it continued. I lost a few put back a few. This cycle happened a couple times. Ive never seen aggressive behavior but someone said the most dominate female is probably picking them to death. That adding more fish would spread the aggression. I did that. Got about 16. Now they seemed to be doing great for a week. My kids came and overfed my tank. I done a water change and fixed it up. Well now im getting the same thing again. Two or three big healthy females have torn up fins and are swimming in one spot just looking bad. And ive pulled out 2 dead already. Water is fine no sign of disease. Just torn up fins and laziness then death. I watch for long lengths of time trying to see a picking culprit. I dont see any fin nippers, fighting or relentless chasing. What am i doing wrong? Whats going on really? I have a baby box with 100 or more fry they have given me. They are growing and doing awesome. I have 3 fry in the 20gal with the adults and they have grown to nearly half their adult size in there. So i know my water quality is fine and disease wouldve wiped out the babies long ago. Right? Im lost and frustrated. About to give up on guppies. Any guppy pros out there?
20210213_034633_HDR.jpg20210213_034603_HDR.jpg

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
I suggest you post pictures of the affected fish so it can be assessed exactly what the injuries may be. A picture of the tank itself would also be useful. It is very possible you will benefit from changing water more often, or changing more volume every two weeks. Nitrate at 30 ppm is not horrible, but it is high. What is your pH? even though guppies adapt to just about anything, they do best in above neutral pH.
Are guppies the only inhabitants in the tank? Usually, even with intra-specific aggression, if there are enough plants and other decorations, there should not be so much aggression among the females as to produce bad fin damage and death. Something else may be going on.
Regarding aggression on the fry - Usually there is no competitive aggression on them; that is, either they are eaten alright, or they are left alone and not harassed... until they become little females and then they would be harassed constantly by males.
Good luck!
I attached a picture of the newest death and also of the tank itself. I tried to "box" 3 really prego females close to birth in my 5gal. Well one was successful immediately. I removed 22 babies and her. That day. Well after two days the other two changed behavior and appearance. One after close inspection had her lips literally ripped off. And her dorsal fin har a small tear. Now both females were very large and very healthy vibrant fish two days ago. One still is. But the one that has the damage is weakened and i can tell she was gonna die without lips. There was only the female guppies in there so i expect it was fighting. Right? They seem fine when they stay hungry. It seemed like they get over fed and then bored and become territorial. Thats all i can come up with.

20210213_034633_HDR.jpg

20210213_034603_HDR.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store