Any Ideas on how to pair my 2 Flowerhorns???

repsol46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2008
Philippines
i'm having trouble pairing this two., because, believe iy or not the BIG one is my female and the tiny one is my male., whenever i take out the divider, the female will surely beat the living daylights out of the male., any ideas or suggestions will definitely help.,

:headbang2

repsol46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2008
Philippines
DasArab;1699821; said:
I see the divider looks like plexiglass, yes? Try eggcrate. Its not unknown for the female to lay eggs on one side of the egg crate and the male to fertilize them from the otherside.

thnx bro., yes., it's plexiglass., i'll be on my way to my lfs in a little while to get an eggcrate.,:headbang2

silvergrayhair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2008
Philippines
the suggestion of DasArab makes sense for your set up. females tend to become more aggressive during breeding season and ideally, should be smaller than the male. combining them without dividers would risk injury or even death for the male.

by the way, whats the age and size of the male? he looks still juvenile to me. he may not be mature enough to fertilize the eggs laid by the female

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
silvergrayhair;1702261; said:
the suggestion of DasArab makes sense for your set up. females tend to become more aggressive during breeding season and ideally, should be smaller than the male. combining them without dividers would risk injury or even death for the male.

by the way, whats the age and size of the male? he looks still juvenile to me. he may not be mature enough to fertilize the eggs laid by the female
FHs once they reach 5"+ size they can start breeding

with FHs thats not much of a problem keep an egg crate or what you can do is keep a little space at the bottom of the dividor like 2" or so and keep a flat stone below
this had seemed to work for one of my LFS's customers

repsol46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2008
Philippines
silvergrayhair;1702261; said:

the male is about 10 months now., and he is about 7 1/2 inches from nose to tail., while the female is about 2 years old., and 11 inches nose to tail., i have another female, and she is even bigger., she is pushing 13 inches, and fat as hell., i tried pairing the females w/ my other male., "Marcus" (he's the one in my avatar) but to no avail., :confused:

repsol46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2008
Philippines
headbanger_jib;1702460; said:
FHs once they reach 5"+ size they can start breeding

with FHs thats not much of a problem keep an egg crate or what you can do is keep a little space at the bottom of the dividor like 2" or so and keep a flat stone below
this had seemed to work for one of my LFS's customers
yeah., alot of people had told me that., but my females are alot bigger than the males., that's why the males are having a hard time taming the females., just got myself an eggcrate, and planning to install it tomorrow morning., keep you posted., ;)

repsol46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2008
Philippines
dragonball1012;1704142; said:
just like u said the female is way bigger than the male....i suggest to get a smaller female
yeah., i'm thinkin' about that right now., first., i have to get me a new aquarium.,:naughty:

BastardFish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
West Coast
zz flowerhorn strain are breedable at 2.5'' just some fyi

and what someone said about that female being to large is probably good advice she may take the male apart once she is in breeding mood so watch out because he looks much nicer than her and she could destroy him if you are not careful. Are you sure that fish is female also? Just asking because while it could be it kind of looks to be low grade male as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store