Any Ideas on Mysterious Tank Die-off?

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Yeah, I'm really thinking it's the silicone you know.

True, you used before...but maybe it was cured properly or leached out by then?

Was it proper aquarium silicone?

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah im thinking it was the silicon as well. no i use the GE silicon II with no mold/mildew additives. i've never had issues with it in the past but it's possible it didn't cure all the way since i usually wait at least a week if not more before adding anything with it to a tank but this time only waited 3 days, figured it would be fine since couldn't smell it or anything anymore but apparently not :/ (also i think the last tube i used was the quicker curing stuff, had rain ready in 3hrs on the front which the other tube didnt but still didnt have any additivies so thought it was the same?) if it were the slate i would think i would have had issues before since the structure that was already in there since the beginning was all bought from the same group and a lot of the rock on the wall was also from pieces broken off of the larger i pieces i used for the structure its just going to be a PITA to get it back out to cure since already had to dremel off about 4-5in from the bottom layer to even get it in there

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
yeah im thinking it was the silicon as well. no i use the GE silicon II with no mold/mildew additives
GE silicone I is the stuff with no mold additives from everything I've read on-line.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
well it has a little asterisk after the II and is still the window and door one i know the kitchen/bathroom one is not safe. it doesnt say anything about mold/mildew inhibitors on the label because that is what i always make sure to watch out for but maybe i should have stuck to the longer curing one Pretty sure i started out with the one in the picture that you posted) but as of today the second round of rasbora/platy guinea pigs are all still alive. i did another full water change and went and exchanged them at walmart and they have survived all night and all day today so i will wait and see. will do a 90% water change again tomorrow if they are still alive and then see if they survive for a while before trying to add anything else again. if these guys all die again then will go from there but fingers crossed i wont have to. this is my least favorite part of the hobby lol something always has to go wrong while trying to get a tank to where i want it to be

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah some of them have started dying now and water is still good with no ammonia (maybe a tiny bit by the color but def less than .25) or nitrites and less than 5nitrates looks like im going to have to take this damn thing out and let it cure longer :/

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Definitely think its the silicone, I remember reading awhile back another member also used the GE 2 and had the same problem even though it wasn't list on the label. I'm paranoid when it comes to silicones and pay the extra money for the aquarium stuff. The piece of mind is worth it when you figure the cost of the fish in the tank, at least to me it is. It seems like these company's are always changing their formulas, and you don't find out until its to late. Feel bad for you.

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
All GE silicon 2 has mold inhibitors in it. GE silicon 1 doesn't have it. Personally I would strip all the silicon you put in and remove it. Then use GE silicon 1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store